Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested BMP - RLE compression

Hi,

could you please add RLE compress option in BMP save dialog?

The BMP format description:

Learn about .BMP files and view a list of programs that open them.

Originally posted by mmmmario View Post
    You know that RLE compression is only defined for 4 and 8 bit BMPs and that this RLE is so simple that the results are not quite promising? In my collection of files there are some RLE compressed files which are larger than the uncompressed variant.

So I would like to see BMP compression too, but just because I like that implementations are complete not because it is really useful...

Comment

optimise...

+1 to RLE compression of 4 and 8 bit images
      Originally posted by midora View Post
      In my collection of files there are some RLE compressed files which are larger than the uncompressed variant.
      As an example: for an 8bit image are teoreticaly 256 variants of RLE compressed file but only one the best compression.
      Chosing the best marker byte for compressed parts is done using the most non used byte (color) in the image but it has some optimisations sometimes
      If there are >=255 colors used, the best marker is the non used color but if all 256 colors are used and exists 2 (or more) the most less used colors that can be used for compress marker then you have two choices:
      1) virtualy compress the file separate for every that possible marker (not all 256 variants - recommended if you like the best compression)
      2) see what color used for possible marker compression might be compressed in image (that's the best if is only one, or one from the best if there are at least 2)

I also recommend read this.
      Last edited by Jaff; 30.11.2007, 01:48 AM. Reason: :) +1 to RLE compression of 4 and 8 bit images
      Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
      doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
      ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
      ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

Working...
      X