8BF filter dialogs revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested 8BF filter dialogs revisited

(I wouldn't call it buggy, but I could call it poor behaviour.)

It concerns the two filter dialogs, of Adobe (Ctrl-K) and Filter Factory (K).
    Skipping the difference in GUI for the moment.

When choosing a filter, or a group of filters, it lacks consistency between the two, and the navigation is quite clumsy.
    Each dialog has its own .INI files in the root of IV: Adobe has 8BF_Filters.ini, and FF has FFactory1.ini and FFactory2.ini (for each pane of the FF-dialog?).
    They act differently.

Ctrl-K : A 'Remove all filters' then Exit of the dialog, deletes the file '8BF_Filters.ini' immediately. So a previous situation is lost.
    K : After a 'Remove all filters' then Exit of the dialog, the FF1 and FF2 ini-files are still there, but will not be re-called the next time. So become quite useless.
    In both cases, the navigation to load plugins again, is a pita, because it starts all the way from 'This computer'.
    With a small pane like that, it would be more elegant to at least start in the ..PFiles/IrfanView/Plugins directory.

Ctrl-K : If there is a list of filters, before Exit of the dialog, then 8BF_Filters.ini is made or updated. And is recalled the next session. If during that session the list is removed, to Add other filters, the navigation starts at the folder of the previous list.
    K : If there is a list of filters, before Exit of the dialog, then the ini-files are updated, and are read in the next session. If during that session the list is removed, to Add other filters, the navigation starts at 'This computer' again..

Another odd thing, valid for both dialogs: If they are opened, no filter has been chosen and it's closed again with Exit, the Undo button of IrfanView comes in an active state nevertheless. This is a waste of memory, especially because Undo only has one level.
    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 07.11.2007, 02:51 AM.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Re: remove all filters

Apart from the enhancements to the 8bf-filters dialog that were discussed elsewhere, I'd like to suggest a warning when the "Remove all filters" button is clicked. I clicked it inadvertently the other day and it was only me knowing about the INI file that I could back this up before exiting the dialog, so that I could restore it. - As the majority of users probably aren't the INI-file tweaking kind, a warning should be in order.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Good point.

I know about the discussion elsewhere (it seems to have been paused..), that's why the "Skipping the difference in GUI".
      This is more a testreport. And the request to tune the navigation of both dialogs to an equal behaviour.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
      X