Technical documentation: Files header strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical documentation: Files header strings

I'm not allowed to reply to this article, so I'm doing it here.
    This article is not a help, because it does not contain facts. It's just guessing.
    Sorry.

HI,

let me think about opening the reply function to existing threads !

steve

Comment

I have to disagree vehemently with that "just guessing!" I was glad to see the subject touched on. The information provided is perfectly accurate as far as it goes (I would include two types of Flash file, at least).

It would be good to be able expand on some of it. I can suggest a number of useful tools for investigating file headers and such. I do it a lot because I am a very curious type.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

@ midora
        matera is right, guessing : no way. This is plain data out of the header line, according to the conventions of graphic files.
        This option has helped me in the past quite a lot, when I had a 'corrupt' file, which appeared to have the wrong extension.

@ steve
        Nice, I would support such a construction. When TechDocs was started, I wondered about the exact status.
        And I was beginning to wonder a bit, because there were no reactions so far.

@ matera
        Good idea about the Flash files. This was a first, basic collection, and it should be expanded indeed.
        So adding video-formats as well, and then audio-formats.
        And there are quite some digital cameras nowadays, that maybe produce files with different/new headers.
        So I was hoping that others would contribute with formats I don't know, to make a thorough collection.
        I will add some methods to read the file headers.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
          I have to disagree vehemently with that "just guessing!" I was glad to see the subject touched on. The information provided is perfectly accurate as far as it goes
          Sorry again, but if someone tells that II is a marker for TIFF than I have to say he has no idea about the meaning of this II and that not all TIFFs are using this.

Saying some characters have a certain meaning if you have a look in a text editor on them is not a good idea because this depends on the font.

So I would propose to tell the people to check the file header using IrfanView->Menu->File->Open As->Hex file... because there they are getting the first bytes in hex format. Which is more accurate. (And they are using Irfanview to do it ;-)

Guessing means for me it looks like that this in formation is not from a file specification document it's from comparing some files in an editor. This is not what I would expect from a technical forum.

Still I like the effort, but please don't do something just to fill this forum.

Comment

Hi again,

you can reply to existing threads now !

steve

Comment

If observation is "guessing," then all science is just guessing...I guess
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I guess I shouldn't interpret the expression "just doing something to fill the forum" as being quite offensive.
                But case closed on this thread afaik.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                  If observation is "guessing," then all science is just guessing...I guess
                  This is completely true. A real scientist will always agree to this statement. Nothing against guessing in general. No guessing no progress. Nevertheless some facts are easy to crosscheck and we should not always start with guessing.

OK, we all know there are different kind of users out there and I agree for some it may be easier to look with an text editor in a file than using a hex editor. Still, please also have a look to the file format specifications which are available or ask other people before adding information. Sometimes less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                    I guess I shouldn't interpret the expression "just doing something to fill the forum" as being quite offensive.
                    But case closed on this thread afaik.

Comment

Working...
                    X