Thumbnails Cache Very Slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumbnails Cache Very Slowly

I'm having a similar problem … slightly different symptoms. My usual usage pattern is to open the first picture in a directory with IrfanView's main viewer and navigate from there. When I first select the thumbnail view, it takes a very long time to display. For one small directory (34 JPG files/2.4 MB total) it took 95 seconds to finish the display; for another (11 JPG files/3.9 MB) it took 70 seconds. The thumbnail window opens instantly, the names of the files appear shortly afterward, then there is no visible change for a long time, finally the thumbnails appear (very quickly).

The vast majority of the time (say 93 of the 95 seconds) was during the "no visible activity" period. There doesn't seem to be a lot of CPU activity during this period. Memory doesn't seem to be an issue — right now Windows Task Manager shows 0.75GB of 1.5GB available. It doesn't seem to be tied to background activity — it's worse, of course, when I have something else running but still bad when I don't. I just ran a test after a fresh boot: 4 JPG files, 1.4MB, 58 seconds!

A refresh of the thumbnail window runs fairly fast. If I close the thumbnail window and reopen it, the thumbnails usually appear very quickly. If I close IrfanView completely and repeat, the thumbnails usually appear slower, but still much faster than the first time. If I don't use IrfanView for a while, the problem reoccurs.

I've been using IrfanView for a long time (starting with version 2.x) and didn't used to have this problem. I don't remember when this problem first surfaced, probably around version 3.7. Today I installed version 4.10 and ran the test cited above. The thumbnail size is 80x80, all other options are off.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by cwb3106 View Post
    For one small directory (34 JPG files/2.4 MB total) it took 95 seconds to finish the display; for another (11 JPG files/3.9 MB) it took 70 seconds. The thumbnail window opens instantly, the names of the files appear shortly afterward, then there is no visible change for a long time, finally the thumbnails appear (very quickly).
    No idea what is causing this. It could be a bug, but we would probably have come across it by now if it was a bug in IrfanView, as browsing thumbnails is such a common task. I would suspect that the cause lies elsewhere, maybe firewall or antivirus software doing something it should not be doing.

Try moving all of the images in that directory to a fresh directory and see if it still happens. Try the usual maintenance tasks: clear temporary files, defragment, run antivirus and spyware checks, etc.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.11.2007, 11:30 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, this is just weird. I experimented with different contents in the directory: fewer files, no subdirectories, no non-graphic files, etc. Nothing really helped … fewer files were less horribly slow, but still way too slow.

Then I moved the directory to a different location (same hard drive partition). Thumbnails displayed almost instantly! Moved it back, display glacial. The only difference I see is that the parent directory had lots of other directories (about a 130), each with lots of file. That is, the directory structure was:
      ........Review
      ................Review Now
      ................Review Later 001
      ................Review Later 002
      ........................…
      ................Review Later 136
      and the problem is displaying thumbnails of the 75 files in the "Review Now" folder.

As an experiment, I moved most of the "Review Later" folders to a subdirectory:
      ........Review
      ................Review Now
      ................Review Later 001
      ................Review Later 002
      ................New Folder
      ........................Review Later 003
      ........................Review Later 004
      ................................…
      ........................Review Later 136
      Thumbnails now display very fast. It's acting like that the size of the parent "Review" folder is affecting the access speed to the "Review Now" folder. I can see how that might have a small effect, but not as big as I'm seeing.

Anyway, I agree it doesn't sound like an IrfanView bug and I found a work-around.
      Last edited by cwb3106; 18.11.2007, 05:21 PM. Reason: indentation lost

Comment

On the thumbnails Options menu, uncheck the item that says, "Load thumbs from all subfolders." If you have lots of images in subfolders, then you're loading the whole directory tree, not just the current branch. No wonder it is so slow.

Moved to Support forum.

Edit: However, the option menu does not show any checkmark, which is a bug, so I will post that issue as a new bug report.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 18.11.2007, 05:47 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The folder I'm viewing ("Review Now") has NO subfolders. I can move this folder to different places in the directory tree — never changing it's contents — and the speed of thumbnail loading changes dramatically.

Are you saying that IrfanView loads everything in the parent folder (C:\Review) including the other subdirectories (C:\Review\xxx) when viewing just one of those directories (C:\ Review\Review Now)?

Since the contents of the folder being viewed doesn't change, I wouldn't expect the "Load thumbs from all subfolders" option to make a difference. But then, I didn't expect the location to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by cwb3106 View Post
            Are you saying that IrfanView loads everything in the parent folder (C:\Review) including the other subdirectories (C:\Review\xxx) when viewing just one of those directories (C:\ Review\Review Now)?
            No. That doesn't happen. Thumbnails are only generated for subfolders of the currently viewed folder. I cannot reproduce the problem, but since it might be a bug, I will move it back to the bug reports forum. Perhaps someone else can reproduce the problem. Unless we can, not much can be done about it.

Comment

Working...
            X