No announcement yet.

EXIF Modification (Single and Batch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested EXIF Modification (Single and Batch)

Hi!

It would be very nice to have EXIF information correction possibilities. I need those to e.g. shift the time of a picture taken overseas (in a different time zone). I could, of course, make time shifting on my camera, but forgot to, and so I now should count when each image was made, instead of just applying a batch EXIF modification with time shift.

One more option is to rename images, combining new name from the EXIF info. The same example with dates can be shown here also.

BTW ACDSee 8 has those possibilities.

Can it be made in IrfanView also?

This is something I'm very interested in aswell!

The ability to change exif info is very essential, especially because many new DAM programs today base their categorising on exif info from pictures (created date).
    All the scanned and edited photos with missing or wrong exif info are a pain in the ....

I noticed this page with much useful info and some tools:

Maybe it can be useful for implementation in irfanview aswell?

I would very much like to see this in irfanview!

Comment

You can already rename files according to any of the EXIF or IPTC info fields. Just look at the Help, Index, Pattern options.
      (Also seen via File>Batch conversion/Rename, Work as: Batch rename, [Set rename options], Name pattern, [Help])
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Ok, I got it with renaming, but editing and batch editing of EXIF info is still valuable.

Comment

So how do you want to do it (renaming with some EXIF data)? with a GUI interface, or via a pure text batch file? IrfanView can do either.

Many people do not realize that there is a command line interface that does just about every editing function that the GUI can do by command line. It is more difficult - if you are not familiar with entering command line parameters, but it can be done. I have set up DOS batch files to copy, convert, resize, rotate and rename images from one directory to another, all in one file, without needing to see IV open at all. So, to add in a rename with any of the tag data should be relatively easy.

Comment

Yep, batch files are great.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
              So how do you want to do it (renaming with some EXIF data)? with a GUI interface, or via a pure text batch file? IrfanView can do either.
              Thanks for helping, but I think there is some confusion about the subject here. renaming or batch renaming filenames are not the issue.

I'm talking about editing the EXIF information in the image itself.

Common issues for needing this feature:
              - Digital camera with wrong internal clock showing the wrong date and/or time. (e.g. because of flat batteries etc.).
              - Scanned photos with no EXIF data present at all.

As far as I can see, Irfanview does not provide any functions for this.

An example of an application providing this today is:
              Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! zysoftonline.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf zysoftonline.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!

I was hoping for something like this is irfanview, and hopefully with a little more options aswell (I know I'm demanding

regards
              carl

Comment

Originally posted by evero View Post
                Thanks for helping, but I think there is some confusion about the subject here. renaming or batch renaming filenames are not the issue.

I'm talking about editing the EXIF information in the image itself.
                Actually, this thread, started by Varrah, was about TWO issues:
                Originally posted by Varrah
                It would be very nice to have EXIF information correction possibilities. I need those to e.g. shift the time of a picture taken overseas (in a different time zone). I could, of course, make time shifting on my camera, but forgot to, and so I now should count when each image was made, instead of just applying a batch EXIF modification with time shift.

One more option is to rename images, combining new name from the EXIF info. ...
                I was addressing the second issue.

And that's the problem with putting two issues in one thread.

Comment

Well here you should follow the name of the topic then :-)
                  Like Evero I worry most about the modification of EXIF data itself

Comment

Look, I am only responding to one of the issues you brought up.

If it was not something I was supposed to respond to, because it was not the subject title, then why did you bother mentioning it?

Please try and keep one issue per subject thread, and then you won't have to abandon the next person who started off trying to help you.

Comment

ChukE, don't worry
                      it's ok :-)
                      Thank you for the answer about the renaming I really appreciate it.
                      We are just worried about the first question :-)

Comment

You might try this little gem of freeware:

learsy.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf learsy.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!

It works perfectly, and is exactly what you're looking for to adjust the time stamps, which is the only thing it does. However, it would be really cool to be able to do it right in irfanview, instead of having to jump to a different program.

Comment

OK, count me in as one of those people who wants to know how you can edit the Exif data in the files themselves. I've heard that it IS possible with IrfanView.... but how?

Comment

Originally posted by Varrah View Post
                            It would be very nice to have EXIF information correction possibilities...
                            ... BTW ACDSee 8 has those possibilities.
                            You're right Varrah, it would be nice... And maybe in future, IV will get that possibility. So far as ACDSee 8 concernes, that's a program one has to pay for, IV is free. We all must keep that in mind. For that matter, try to change the EXIF-data of an image in ACDsee and set it back again (so in reality you didn't change anything). ACDSee should let your image unaffected, but you end up with a document-date which is changed to 'today'.

Comment

Well, I'm just trying to get rid of ACDSee, exactly because of it's non-free distribution. Speaking about the date of the file itself, as I remember there's an advanced option to leave the date as is. After all even if there's no such option, you can reset the date of the file, by taking the EXIF date, this operation is there for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X