Plugin / internal function to view "Thumbs.db"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Plugin / internal function to view "Thumbs.db"

Is it possible to add a function to view the thumbnails inside a "Thumbs.db" file?

Originally posted by morkork View Post
    Is it possible to add a function to view the thumbnails inside a "Thumbs.db" file?
    +1 to that and: Why not use thumbnails from "Thumbs.db" (if file exists) when browsing before creating own IV thumbnails?
    Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
    doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
    ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
    ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

Originally posted by morkork View Post
      Maybe. Thumbs.db on XP is an MS Compound Document (means a kind of file system contained in a file). So you need code to get the Thumbnail files out of the db file. Second the format of the Thumbnail files is not documented. Some are easy to interpret because they are JFIF some not. I'm not sure that someone will spent the time to maintain this.

Comment

There is a Total Commander plugin for it.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Rip & view using MultiRipper

If you insist on see what's in thumbs.db I recomand you to rip & view JPEGs from it using MultiRipper. Anyway some of them will look corrupted or Mripper won't rip them. Only Micro$oft knows how store and compress thumbs there. Here's an example (MRIP.LOG):

Code:
                           ▄         
            ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄   
            █ █ ███ █ ████ █ █ ████  
            █ █ ███ █▀███▄ █ █ ████  
            █ █ ███ █ ████ █ █████▀  
            █ █ ███ █ ▀███ █ █       
            █       █      █ █ 3.00b 

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Source = Thumbs.db

Destination Path = Current

Match found,JPG00000.JPG created: JPEG Picture @0000088C
          False alarm: JPEG Picture @000015CC
          Match found,JPG00001.JPG created: JPEG Picture @0000160C
          Match found,JPG00002.JPG created: JPEG Picture @00003ACC
          Match found,JPG00003.JPG created: JPEG Picture @00004A4C
          4 JPEG Picture Found. ( 1 false alarm )
          Note: in my case JPG00002.JPG is corrupred. And if you wonder... yes, thumb of folder exists there :P

MultiRipper v2.80 (Shareware)
          download from: official site / attachment
          MD5: 0995178a64f9c1ff7dd6dd3e7fd0f48d

MultiRipper v3.00 beta OpenSource
          download from: official site / attachment
          MD5: 627dab5014c4c1962c7e4f0be958f639
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Jaff; 30.11.2007, 03:29 AM. Reason: added attachments
          Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
          doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

Comment

Originally posted by Jaff View Post
            Note: in my case JPG00002.JPG is corrupred. And if you wonder... yes, thumb of folder exists there :P
            Are you able to provide this thumbs.db to the forum? Once I have written a small tool to read files from an MS Compound Document (like thumbs.db or .doc). I may add some code to extract images from thumbs.db and would like to test it with problematic thumbs.dbs.

Comment

all you want

You got here all 4 images in folder, Thumbs.db & extracted thumbs. The problem is not the file itself but how write WinXP JPEGs with thumbs inside.
              Attached Files

Comment

You got here all 4 images in folder, Thumbs.db & extracted thumbs. The problem is not the file itself but how write WinXP JPEGs with thumbs inside.
                Looks like a problem of the MRIP tool. I'm able to extract all 5 thumbs from the db (see attachment). All are valid JPEGs. I expect that the false report in mrip.log just tells that the tool can not find a match for the the thumb of the containing folder.

OK, I'm more looking for thumbs.db files containing incomplete jpegs. As far as I know Windows used this format earlier (maybe to save space). Maybe in W2K, I don't know.

If someone could provide me such a thumbs.db file I would try to decode it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by midora View Post
                  Looks like a problem of the MRIP tool. I'm able to extract all 5 thumbs from the db (see attachment). All are valid JPEGs. I expect that the false report in mrip.log just tells that the tool can not find a match for the the thumb of the containing folder.
                  As you can see in this picture, stored JPEG for thumb is not a valid one (raw data). XP inserts some aditional data (marked with red in picture).

The false alarm generated by ripper is ok. take a look here. He founds a JPEG header but no end marker for image, then founds another JPEG header.

Note: the ripper don't know how to handle thumbd.db format. He extracts files from other files and uses different techniques to check the lenght of the extracted file.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Note: the ripper don't know how to handle thumbd.db format. He extracts files from other files and uses different techniques to check the lenght of the extracted file.
                    OK, I didn't know this. Then this tool is lucky to extract the files. Because thumbs.db is in MS compound format means this file contains sectors and small sectors like a FAT filesystem. The thumb files themself are stored typically in small sectors (64 byte per sector). But as always in a filesystem you have to look in the sector allocation table to get one sector after the other. In a fresh created version of thumbs.db you may find the files but after some updates in the containing folder it will be difficult.

Comment

Working...
                    X