Feature request: fit image to window width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Feature request: fit image to window width

As title. A simple feature that I would love to have in irfanview.

View>Display options>Fit images to window doesn't work well enough for you?
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

I can understand such a request from a technical point of view.
      But then it evidently leads to a logic co-request : 'fit image to window height'.

So I guess tejvenim's request is about 'fit image only to window width'.
      Now, both rules are valid at the same time, so 'fit image to window width' is already performed many times.
      Fitting means enlarging/diminishing the picture until one of the boundaries of the window is reached, horizontal or vertical.
      (if the aspect ratio stays enabled of course)

An option to choose 'only width' or 'only height' would be a nice luxury nevertheless.
      In particular with images with quite exceptional landscape or portrait dimensions, like 800x240 or 640x2540.
      So one can choose to view the maximum 'body', and view the rest by scrolling in a certain direction.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Fit to window is not good, consider the following example:

If my window is 1024x768 and there is a long image 2040x15360, after fit image to window, I will get a resized image of 102x768 (best fit to window), which is too small for me too see.

If there is a fit to window width option, the resized image will be 1020*7680. I can scroll up and down to view the whole picture.

Comment

I would like to see a 'Fit image to window' keyboard shortcut that incorporated your requirement. The standard action of this shortcut would be to fit the image to the window in the same way that Display Options does it. If the image is already 'fitted to window' however, the shortcut would zoom the image out to fit the other dimension to the window size.

Comment

So far as I can see this option already exists:

View > Display Options (Window mode) > Fit images to window / Fit images to desktop width / Fit images to desktop height

It works for me, I have version 4.1 with the complete plugin pack

Comment

The requester wants the image to fill the width when the window is not the width of the desktop.

Comment

Perhaps you realize now, Tejvenin, that your request is not quite that simple and there are a number of issues involved with window sizes and fitting images to them.

If as ChuckE assumes you want to work with a fixed size of window (smaller than the desktop) then there are just 3 of the 8 possible View > Display options available to you; Fit to Window, Fit only big images to Window and Do not fit anything. All the others mess about with the window size as you step through different sized images and are most frustrating if you want to keep something else in view on your desktop. If you do occasionally want to zoom the current image quickly with a keystroke then only Ctrl+H is available. Shortcut key F is a disaster because that also messes with the Display option and leaves it set to 1 of 2 settings neither of which you want.

If ChuckE is mistaken and you are happy to work in a maximized window then, as others say, you already have your request available as a fixed Display option. Your wish then would presumably be as I interpreted it for a quick zoom to "fit image to window width" for the current image only, without disturbing whatever Display option is set.

Comment

fit image to desktop

my question is - i like to use an image for desktop background. i seem to have trouble in sizing the border.

i go by left right up down. however, recently i changed the border on the left and the right side to the same dimensions. but, when i transferred it to the desktop the right side border was larger. in other words, the image was not centered in the border.

what did i do wrong? thanks . flowerlady

Comment

There are three settings for the Position of the image: Center, Tile, and Stretch.

If you use other than Stretch the edges of the desktop picture may be larger or smaller than the edges.

If you use Stretch, the picture may distort, if the HxW ratio of the picture does not match the ratio of the screen.

From what you are saying, it sounds like you have the setting other than Stretch.

Using the other two settings, Center and Tile, have their own issues.

Using Center is good if your picture pixel dimensions are smaller than the screen's resolution. However if the image is larger than your screen, the edges will be off the left and right, or top and bottom, or all, sides of the screen.

From what you have mentioned, that your right side is off the edge, it sounds like your image is wider than the screen, AND you have your desktop Positioning set to Tile.

You have to adjust something, now, perhaps, you'll know what.

Comment

fit image to desktop

Thanks to all who replied. took notes and I will try out what I can.

I think I will just have to practice. evidently, it isn't the border size that is the problem, it is the centering of the image which determines the width of the border around the image.

thanks. that I think is the answer to my problem.

Flowerlady

Comment

Working...
                      X