PDA

View Full Version : Forum not accessible; Bad certificate

Kuki Dent
03.02.2018, 05:02 PM
Hi,
Firefox and other browsers complain about a bad certificate when I want to open the forum:
SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN. Seems this began at Feb., 1st.
Could one please contact the forum owner to renew the certificate?
Thanks.

Bhikkhu Pesala
04.02.2018, 06:49 PM
I already emailed Steve on 1st February, and also informed Irfan Skiljan.

j7n
05.02.2018, 06:28 PM
I couldn't even access the forum during the time while the bad certificate was active. No possibility to accept and continue as with other sites. I received a fatal error page from Opera, and a prompt to add an exception in Firefox, which didn't allow me access anyway. The security settings are too tight for a public, free discussion forum.

Bhikkhu Pesala
05.02.2018, 07:04 PM
I was able to accept the certificate using Opera 12.18 (http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/win/), which I still use for its built-in email client and some other cool features not yet ported to my default browser (Vivaldi (http://www.softerviews.org/vivaldi.html)). Neither Firefox 58, Opera 50, or Vivaldi 1.15 would let me in to the forum.

Compared to other forums, this one has almost no spam at all, so as a moderator I welcome the tight security. Changing my password every 100 days is a slight inconvenience.

It is exactly six months since this problem last happened.

j7n
10.02.2018, 08:37 PM
Maybe some spammers are indeed turned off by the password change requirement if they create sleeper accounts and return to post spam after more than 100 days. SSL affects both spammers and legitimate users equally. The users or bots must be able to access correctly configured HTTPS to post on modern day internet.

I don't understand exactly why this is, but the SSL on this site causes high CPU usage in Opera 12.18 when connection is first established. I observe it also every few minutes while typing my post, and it is a bit annoying. Dragonfly indicates that ajax.php?autosave is accessed. Maybe most people don't feel if they have a modern computer.

jazzman
11.02.2018, 09:58 AM
I don't get any certificate messages on Otter browser, while on Opera 11.52 I do.
No noticable delays on this my ancient XP system with Otter either.