tif file display problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tif file display problem

Since I upgraded to the latest version of IrfanView (4.10, registered) I have been having problems displaying .tif files.

The .tif files I am viewing are fax messages, usually in a single page.

It is normal that when I open the file, it is wider than my screen (which is 1024). So, I normally click on the magnifying glass - (minus) icon to view the file so that it can fit my screen. However, as I click on the magnifying glass, the top part of the image disappears and cannot be seen at all.

I attach 2 screenshots representing the original view, and a view of the same file after I have clicked 5 times on the magnifying glass - (minus) icon. Notice the position of the vertical and horizontal sliders: according to them, I am supposed to be at the very top of the document in the second screenshot, yet a few lines of my fax message are obviously missing.

If I select View -> Display Options -> Fit images to desktop width, I have the same problem.

This bug appeared a few weeks ago, when I upgraded to version 4.10.

I use Windows XP SP2 with all latest updates. Any ideas how to fix this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by markwolk; 29.11.2007, 02:05 AM.
    New Zealand Private Tours

It is a known bug, and will hopefully be fixed in the next release. Meanwhile, the best work-around for you is probably to use "Fit to desktop width."
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks. Good to see that the bug is being investigated. Unfortunately, as I explained earlier, "Fit to desktop width" produces the same bug for me.

Comment

Try looking again. The bug does not occur with Fit to Desktop width.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Unfortunately it does for me. 100% positive.

Comment

That is because you're zooming out. If the entire image fits on your screen, why do you need to zoom out again?

If you zoom in, there is no problem. Use Control H to return to 100% zoom level. If you use fit to desktop width, then you don't need to zoom out because you can see read entire image by scrolling down. This is a work-around until the bug gets fixed. You can also use Fit to Window (F), which is more convenient. Again, zoom in with mouse or keyboard, but zoom out with F or Control H.

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu and many thanks for your replies. I do need to zoom out, because the fax message is much larger than my screen; see my first screenshot above (irfanviewbug1.jpg).

I tried again your advice to use View -> Display options -> Fit images to desktop width. It does not work for me with Irfanview's default settings (the top of the document is eaten up and there is no way to see it at all). However, once I have selected "Use 'Resample' for fitting (better quality)", it now does work!

Comment

Working...
              X