Mask plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mask plugin

I have been an Irfanview user for years,I am looking for a mask plugin, various types preferred I have some otherwise good images that need a special look, any ideas?

Please be more specific from a technical point of view. What do you mean with 'mask' ?
    Some overlay with some transparent areas ? Then it would probably lead to 'layers', which IV doesn't have.

And 'special look' is too vague. There are already effects or plugins to make a picture look like an oil painting, etc.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
      Please be more specific from a technical point of view. What do you mean with 'mask' ?
      Some overlay with some transparent areas ? Then it would probably lead to 'layers', which IV doesn't have.

And 'special look' is too vague. There are already effects or plugins to make a picture look like an oil painting, etc.

OK something that will effectively cover things like an errant telephone pole on the periphery of the image, but to crop the image may damage the overall feeling, or maybe even a piece of something undesirable protruding into the image causing a point of distraction, you are right though this process may require layers, but if I could find a "peripheral fog" effect or vignette effect I could hide the bad pixels so the protruding item would not show.

Comment

I see. So in fact you want to remove undesirable objects within the picture. Of course you can make it 'foggy',
        but often it is possible to replace the pixels of the object by the the background behind it.
        This can be tried with the 'clone' tool of the Paint plugin (F12).
        It will take some effort, but can be done.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I guess I never knew that IV had a paint plugin That would work, I don't do a lot of editing mainly for the reason, that I try to compose my images in such a way so "undesirable distractive elements" aren't an issue but once in a while it is unavoidable, because of the characteristics of the scene site, lighting etc.
          Thanks for your replies! R

Comment

The Paint plugin Clone tool does a great job of taking out wires from the sky, stray hairs, pimples, even shiny nose spots. Blurring selections helps too.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
              Well, I really doubt that! Photofiltre is one photo editor that does not support layer but it does support masks. On previewing a picture, the transparent areas are visible and the opaque areas are masked. Once one is satisfied with the result on the preview screen, the mask can be applied. Unlike a layer, these masks are merged into the image and therefore permanent!

Maybe this is something that Matteo could work along side his IP plugin or maybe incorporate it into IP

Comment

I have thought about such a state between background and layers. A 'floating selection' is something like that.
                You mention 'merging' before a save. Is Photofiltre capable of saving the file with the mask still seperated ?
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Oh! No ... that can't be done with PF Forget about saving the file with the mask still separated, fact is the user cannot go on to any other process or activity without actually merging the mask. So, until the mask is applied and merged into the image itself, the user cannot do any other task such as copy/ paste/ paint or whatever.

PF Studio keeps them separate, but then, that is using real layers!

What Matteo or anyone else willing to make a plugin could do is the same thing ... that is, allow the user to see the effect of the application of the transparent mask in a preview window and then once the "OK" is clicked, the mask is merged with the picture. It would basically be an extension of the IP plugin. ... and yes, of course the undo is always there for those who aren't satisfied with the result!

Comment

Working...
                  X