Download IrfanView as simple Zip archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download IrfanView as simple Zip archive

Is there an IrfanView distribution in the form of simple Rar or Zip archive? Last time I checked there wasn't. Irfan is a simple program, portable, its plugins don't need to be registered. Why is there this Aspacked installer?

I guess that for most users (me included) an installer is the most convenient.

Offering a zip alternative would mean twice as many files to update on all the mirrors.

There is nothing stopping you from making your own Zip file from the installed files.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,

you can download it from our download server:

here

steve

Comment

So mirrors are the reason, I see. Of course I have made a RAR package, which is very easy to setup on the machines I have to configure. There was this question in the German forum where somebody complained he couldn't run the installer on Win98. This prompted me to finally post about the installer.

With installers there are a couple of problems: In general, they may
        - contain malware, such as search toolbars,
        - they may extract files to the system directory, for example unneeded codecs, or
        - overwrite previously installed versions without prompting.

An installer is just a program that can do anything to your computer. And you can't easily determine beforehand what will the installer do.

A couple of years ago there was a nice piece of software called BSPlayer v1.36. Starting from v1.39, or maybe v1.38 it came bundled with WhenU malware. Now you decide to setup the trustworthy program on a new machine, run the new installer, and blah – a malware. This is an example of a good program going bad.

Edit:
        Thank you steve. Please move this to support or offtopic. I could swear, there wasn't a zip before.
        Last edited by j7n; 01.12.2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I support the comment of 7jn on installation executables. (And e.g. '.msi' files are the most unpredictable.)
          So if it's not necessary, I won't use it, and prefer just a compressed package.
          Whether it's a zip, rar, arj or lzh, I don't care.

Btw - zip-files also can have 'installation' qualities, in so far, that target directories can be checked for existence or made.
          An example of this are the zip-files for TC plugins.

Yeah, thanks Steve, for the link.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I know that for many it is a convenience to just click and let all heck break loose, but I always prefer to download an archived installation when I have the option. And I dread the horrificating MSI monsters! They seem so inefficient, always take three times as long to get anywhere - before they finally tell you that you need admin privileges and-or don't have version 1.0123.8.034.21 of the DotNET crud, ack. May that never happen to IV. I always pack up my installed files when I have to move to a new drive or something
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The Google toolbar probably makes the guy a few bucks too. If a user isn't savvy or paying attention it will get installed by the executable installer. I don't blame them either. I have Google Ads on all the websites I build and there's a lot more shady companies you could have as sponsors.

Comment

Well, there you go. There's a simple conclusion for this : never install an app while online.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                X