How to resize a jpg file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to resize a jpg file

Is there a way to resize a jpg file? I'm looking for a way to reduce a photo which is about 4" x 6" down to about 2x3 or even a little smaller. I know how to use only a few of the features of IrfanView and if this is one of them, then I don't know where it is. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

You may resample the picture to 50% size using Image -> Resample. But, since you are referring to printed size, it's better to keep the original size and resample to the printer's resolution before printing (it happens automatically).

Comment

Forget about the inches of a photo as long as it is on the PC.
      This is only relevant as a result of the DPI-setting when printing a picture. Check the 'I(nfo)' dialog if you change the DPI.
      See what's changed and what's not.
      On the PC you just have to deal with the number of pixels of width and height.
      In your case you want to resize the picture to the half (4:6 to 2:3) so you can use Ctrl-R to pick the 'Half' button in the dialog.
      Make sure you have the 'Preserve aspect ratio' function enabled.

Edit : 2 j7n
      I wrote this, unknown of your reply in the meantime.
      Last edited by Sam_Zen; 15.06.2007, 05:41 AM.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks to both responders for the assist. It works fine and the best part is, it's simple enough for me to understand it!

Comment

Working...
        X