X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha problems

Hello,

I fond the following problems with IrfanView:

1) When I convert a 32 bit TGA to PNG, the alpha is lost. I was using the command line option /convert, then I tried opening IrfanView and "Save as". Why does it ask me to pick a color? The TGA already has an alpha channel, with alpha variations and not associated with any color.

2) Also cropping a PNG with alpha loses the alpha. Again I was using the command line option /crop.

3) I'm guessing the /panorama option also doesn't handle alpha. The only way I found to create a contact sheet in the command line is creating several panoramas.

And one suggestion: most programs, when displaying an image with transparency, use a checkered background behind it. It would be nice to have that in IrfanView.

Yes, there is no alpha, that is why you have to choose the transparent color for the PNG.

I have to agree that a checkered background option for transparency would be nice, since it is hard to pick a background color that works with everything.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

No alpha indeed, so I have my doubts about calling this a bug-report.
      I fully support++ the option to get a checkered background option for transparency.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

The PNG standard also defines an alpha channel so 24bit rgb + 8bit alpha TGA can in principle converted to 24bit rgb + 8bit alpha PNG. Currently IrfanView only supports a single color key. So support for 8bit alpha would be nice.

Comment

Working...
        X