Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batch User Interface & Single Resize Options (Std Dim)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Batch User Interface & Single Resize Options (Std Dim)

Hey, I posted this in the old forum, but I wanted to bump it back up since I didn't see any changes in ver 4.00.

--------

two separate issues:

1)
    i have a recommendation for the batch user interface layout. i like really compact layouts that maximize screen space. i think the batch interface could be rearranged slightly to make it work a little better. i've attached an image of what i think it should be.

basically, the most important part (visually) should be the image selection, but it's about 1/6th the size of the window. even resizing the window doesn't make it much bigger, because all of the other options are spread out/oversized/too wordy. i think it should be bigger to make it easier to see more picture thumbnails (and i've already tweakui'd the thumbnails smaller), especially when you only want to process specific ones.

also, there are a couple minor reorganizations to make things more logical (see pic)

1.2)
    i also noticed that some of the buttons (remove all, sort files, load txt, move up, move down) aren't anchored correctly to the form, so that when you make the window bigger they are positioned relative to the overall size, not to the top, and so they slide out of their correct place.

1.3)
    Please default to the current directory - it kinda goes against the idea of batch (i.e. easy) if you have to remember to reset the folder each time.

2)
    the resize option (for single images) has several choices of "standard dimensions", complete with easy shortcuts (like alt+6) - great. my problem is that, unlike the batch resize, there's no option to set the longest side. so when i want to resize a single rotated photo, i have to manually fill in the height box with the standard dimension i want. otherwise my 1200 x 1600 image gets turned into 640 x 853, instead of 480 x 640.

thanks!

I personally found your rearrangements of the batch conversion window as an improvement, but I also suggest to move the preview image in the right-down corner, while all components that are there should be shifted accordingly to the left. I also can reproduce the bug with the 5 aforementioned buttons that are not correctly anchored. It is at least strange that the 5 upper buttons remains in the same place when the height of the window is increased and the other 5 buttons goes down. This is programming bug, which should be easily corrected.

Comment

I like the suggestions, all of them, so put my vote in the Affirmative column.

But drzaus, being that it is two separate issues, you really should have made two different threads.
      Last edited by ChuckE; 17.06.2007, 12:52 AM.
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

ChuckE is right, so I will not respond to 2) here.

I don't have much with this suggestion, although I like maximum screen space too.
        So I don't use thumb previews, which take quite some space, in the first place, but just plain full filenames in a list.
        Because I almost always can read which name stands for what picture.

About 1.3)
        First I didn't have a clue about what you meant with 'default to the current directory'. When ? In or out ?
        Irfan View opens up the batch dialog at the last used directory, instead of the current active directory in the meantime.
        It's written in the ini-file. Maybe it's a nuisance if files are scattered all over the place, but if one uses a standard directory to perform such batch-actions, it's quite 'easy' that IV saved this, instead of starting in some silly place like 'documents and settings'.

If one want to batch in a new dir, then there's a simple workaround to get the proper dir to start with.
        Just start IV by activating a random bitmap-file in that current dir and then do 'B'.

This is about the Properties/Misc. 2 dialog - checkbox : "Open Batch dialog in last used batch folder".
        If it's enabled, then 'SaveBatchDir' in the ini-file is set to 1.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Wow, I actually got replies...

It's just good to know that I'm not talking crazy-talk.

@Vizitator: good point about moving the preview right. i just tried to leave the layout as close to the original as possible, but your suggestion makes more sense.

@ChuckE: sorry, newbie mistake? i just didn't want to clutter the forum...

@Sam_Zen, point one: mine just defaults to showing thumbnails instead of details (sometimes irritating, but i never got around to changing it). but i think it still holds true that the file selection part is the most important, even if it is just a list, and so I think it should be bigger. besides, how much room do you need for the buttons and textboxes, so why not condense them?

@Sam_Zen, point two: all good and true points. i should have said that i'd like the *option* for a default to have it save to the currently open directory (i looked, did i miss it?). but it already has so many more options; why not just have two radio buttons "use current directory" and "use last directory" instead of the "use active directory" button?

Comment

2 drzaus
            I agree about the importance of the list with selected files, it should have a good survey.

about 1.2)
            But I am not in favour of moving the preview to the right. Because the previews are related to the left list, not the right one with the actual directory.
            The irregular division of the dialog window, as Vizitator describes, has been discussed more here.
            After a simple test, by first dragging the window strictly horizontally, then enlarging it strictly vertically, one can easily see, that this is programmed to give the source-directory more space to view some file(s). The rest stays the same.
            As mentioned, there's this strange, non-straight, horizontal division of the overall dialog.
            Apart from the wrong position of those 5 buttons (they belong to the upper part), there's the crucial fact that the preview window is lowered, but this doesn't result in more space for the 'added file' list. There's just more dummy grey-space, below the same list field.
            Of course this is odd behaviour, and should be corrected. But I don't see a reason for a horizontal division in the first place.
            This dialog has a clear distinction with a vertical separation. At the left the selected material for the action, at the right the locations of source and destination. So a nice extra would be the dragging of the line between L and R in percentages.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
            X