OGG Playback Bug - 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OGG Playback Bug - 4.10

In 4.10, if you attempt to playback audio while the "View->Display Options->Resample for better image quality" option is checked, the audio is extremely broken up and distorted. I have not tried playing back MP3's or anything else because I only use the OGG playback support for audio in Irfanview and use Media Player 10 for MP3/WMA.

In case you want my system specs, they are listed below.
    P4/3.20GHz, 800MHZ FSB, HT
    2GB DDR400 (PC3200)
    120GB Native SATA HDD
    nVidia 7800GS 256MB
    Creative Audigy II w/Surround System
    Pioneer 40X DVD
    Sony 52X-32X-52X CD-RW
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Last edited by Xenithar; 15.12.2007, 08:55 PM.

I have checked the "Resample for better image quality" option all the time, but I can't reproduce this.
    Not surprising because this option has nothing to do with sound.

So I checked the player in Options->Video/sound.
    Internal player, or external player, both perform normally here.
    If you choose external, the correct plugin to play OGG's must be there :
    SoundPlayer.dll of the iv_mmedia pack.

Some aspects :
    First of all, you have to test MP3's anyway. Associated to 3rd parties or not, IV can still open MP3's.

The distortion maybe could be linked to the fact, that when playing an OGG, IV turns the main mixer volume to 100 %.
    Which it shouldn't, by the way.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

OGG Vorbis samplerates other than 44.1 kHz were always distorted. Has something to do with how FMOD is configured.

Comment

FMOD ? Tell me more. I've had my suspicion about that, also because of the silly construction of a special subdir.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

FMOD library does Vorbis playback. It's a sound component for video games, similar to Miles but not as popular. Maybe it is resampling other rates so crudely because in games speed is more important than quality.

Comment

Because SoundPlayer.dll claims to play OGG files, I removed the plugins/fmod directory with the fmod.dll as a test.
            No playback possible then. So the two dll's are needed in conjunction to play OGGs.
            j7n could be right about the default game-related resolutions causing this.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I dropped by to check the forum and saw the replies, and not surprisingly I was and still am listening to my OGGs with IV. I went in and clicked the resampling option as a test and this time, no problems. I don't know what the deal was because I run a VERY tight shift with my system and have very few services running while I am using my system and do not believe something was interfering with IV. Maybe it was a fluke, but when I turned on resampling every time it would distort my OGGs during playback. Today it doesn't do a thing. If I can figure out what combination or whatever caused it, I'll report it.

Comment

Working...
              X