Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPTC tag name errors and other points

I have just installed the free Microsoft Photo Info tool (available at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...photoinfo.mspx)
    and for one thing, it permits you to tag far more image types than just JPG (the current IrfanView plugin limitation).
    With the MS tool, you can additionally tag TIFF, WDP, HDP (HD Photo), NEF, CR2, and CRW1 types (no PNG yet with version 1.0 of the MS tool).

Now, because Microsoft, most probably, researched the meta-data fields and checked with other Photo Experts before coming out with their tool, I tend to give a bit more credibility to what they call the field names.

I am mentioning this because I have found some discrepancies between what MS calls some of the fields and what IV calls those same fields (most fields were identical or close enough, but ...). Plus, I also found some other differences that make the usability if the IV plugin seem pretty archaic.

Here is what I have found: (To find this out I entered tag data into the named fields using IrfanView, and saw where they appeared with MS's Photo Info tool):

Microsoft <=> IrfanView
    Title <=> Object Name
    Author <=> Byline
    Description <=> Caption
    Desc. Writer <=> Caption Writer
    Copyright <=> Copyright
    Keywords <=> Keywords
    Suppl. Categories <=> Supplemental Categories
    City <=> City
    Sublocation <=> Sublocation
    State/Prov <=> Province State
    Credits <=> Credits
    Source <=> Source
    Headline <=> Headline
    Instructions <=> Special Instructions
    Trans. Ref. <=> Original Transmission Reference

In addition to the above discrepancies, I also found some capabilities either not appearing with IrfanView's plugin, or with some limitations on the IV side.

MSPItool has:
    A "Copyright" check-box to create a copyright notice automatically.
    A URL selection field. Not positive what this does yet.
    The Category field is limited to just 3 characters (there must be a valid reason for this).
    The Created date field is easily calendar selectable, whereas the IV tool you have to type in YYYY MM DD text.
    There is an easy adjustment for adding to the EXIF capture date by "x" days, hours, minutes and seconds.
    There is a Location field, no info about this yet.
    The Urgency field is selectable 1 through 9, plus a "None" whereas the IV tool requires you to type in the numbers 1 to 8 (only) but the IV field appears like a large type-able field.
    Even though, the IV text says "(1 = High, 6 = Normal, 8 = Low)" I have found that you can also type in 9, or a 0, which the MS tool equates to "None"
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.
Working...
X