• Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV crashes when trying to re-save a NEF

Hi,

Here is how to reproduce the crash:
    - open a Nikon NEF file
    - save as JPEG
    - open the JPEG in another window (double click)
    - close the JPEG
    - back to the window with the NEF
    - try to save again (File / Save as)
    - before the "save" dialog opens, IV crashes

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Can you provide a NEF example?
    I tried this procedure with a BMP, and all went normal.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi Sam_Zen,

Even zipped, my NEF files are huge (~12 MB), so it's hard to send. As you could not replicate, I tried again. In fact in my explanation I omitted something important. And the problem also happens with a small BMP.
      Here is what I did today:
      - open a NEF or BMP (maybe anything?),
      - save as JPEG in another directory,
      - save again(*) in the same place and overwrite the previous file,
      - try to save again and IV crashes.

(*) no need to have opened the JPEG nor to have modified the image, although if one save it again it's because one has modified it.

It seems that once IV has crashed, the problem happens even if the JPEG is saved into the same directory as the originel NEF/BMP...

Here is the BMP I used. It's a picture od the Moon I made some days ago

Laurent
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

i found a site with nef sample files:

(And lot´s of other raw images).

Now i am trying to reproduce this bug !

steve

Comment

Hi guys,

i´m sorry, but i can´t reproduce that error.

@Laurent: Could you please give me the version info about your formats.dll ?

[Open IrfanView - Click on "Help" then on "Installed Plugins"].

Please send me your i_view32.ini so i can adopt your settings

Greetings,

steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

- formats.dll is version 4.10.
            - I'll send you my ini file via private mail.

I checked it before and I noticed it contains garbage, maybe due to previous crashes. I cleaned it, but the problem remains. I renamed it so that IV doesn't find it and the problem didn't occur anymore. I restored the previous ini file and the problem came back.

I believe you found where the problem resides. Now the question is which line(s) cause the trouble.

Thanks

Laurent

Comment

Didn't check for a while, but my version of formats.dll is 4.11.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi Sam_Zen,

I have downloaded formats.dll from "IrfanView Directory Browsing". Now it is version 4.11 too, but this didn't solve the problem.

Laurent

Comment

Hi,

I downloaded irfanview_plugins_410_setup.exe from the website and compared to the file I downloaded along with IV 4.1 two month ago. FC (file compare) says:
                  0000FF67: 31 00
                  I'll install the new plugins and see if there is a difference.

Laurent

Comment

Hi,

I renamed my plugin directory as plugin_old and I installed irfanview_plugins_410_setup.exe just downloaded from www.irfanview.com. I then compared the old and the new plugins directory. Some differences:
                    - Effects.dll is no more present
                    - Formats.dll is the old one (4.10 and not 4.11)
                    - Icons.dll is no more present
                    - Mpg.dll is no more present
                    - Paint.dll is no more present
                    - Slideshow.exe is no more present
                    - Video.dll is no more present
                    All those files I in my old plugins have the date of the installation of IV. They do not remain from a previous installation (if old files remain after a proper uninstall, I always empty the directory).

What's the right way to have the most up to date plugins and to remove the obsolete ones?

Is there a place where one can find information about plugins update?

Is it possible that some problems related in the Bugreports are just due to the use of different version of the plugins?

Laurent

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post

Is there a place where one can find information about plugins update?

Is it possible that some problems related in the Bugreports are just due to the use of different version of the plugins?
                      Hi,

you can find any information about a plugin update on the offical website and in the plugins forum, but only if Irfan released such an info on his page.

To find out the exact file version is not possible: in future we can use crc checksum to talk about the same plugin dll.

BTW: Does the latest file solve your problem ?

greetings,

steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your support and your answers. The crash problem is still there. Maybe something wrong in my .ini file, but it's hard to delete it and to loose all the settings. This morning I leave for a week, as an aminator for an astronomy camp (see my new avatar ), so I'll not be present until sunday.

Laurent

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent
                          As a matter of fact, I had a suspicion about the contents not being similar of the .exe and the .zip DL-versions sometimes.

On the IV.com plugins page, one can find the 3 updated '4.11' DLLs.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                          X