Multiple i_view32.exe instances remain in memory after exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple i_view32.exe instances remain in memory after exit

After exiting the program, there are still process instances left in the memory. Although I´ve activated the option "Only 1 instance of IrfanView is active", each time I start the viewer i.e. by clicking on a jpg image in my windows explorer, a new process is generated and not killed after the viewer´s been finished (by ESC) and the window´s been closed. My current version is 4.0.

Confirming this bug and possible solution

Irfanview remains in memory for me...if I have this option selected:

[x] Start in full screen mode (if image loaded; single ESC for program exit)

When I hit ESC, it indeed exits the window...but the i_view32.exe process remains! This was really annoying me because for my slideshow I'd restart if the process didn't exist, but it did exist even after the window had closed!

Unsetting this option requires double ESC, but doesn't hang processes.

One interesting thing, though. If you hit ESC the second time when this option is enabled, it will kill the process, even though the window isn't showing (once you click elsewhere, though, the ESC doesn't seem to get sent to the window). So basically you still have to hit ESC twice even with this setting, but the second ESC isn't obvious.

-Dan
    Last edited by adipose; 16.08.2007, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Are you running a version of Vista? If you are, try disabling User Account Controls. I was having the same problem when I exited Thumbs Plus. This will likely also help with other problems you may be having.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am running Windows XP 32bit. The problem occurred for me on both Professional and Home.

Windows XP 32 Home: bug confirmed
        Windows XP 32 Pro: bug confirmed

I haven't tried on Vista.

-Dan

Comment

This is an old thread but a new problem for me. I'm on XP SP3.

If I open IV and merely look at an image file, don't edit it in any way, I can exit out and everything is fine. If I edit the image, when I exit (press Esc or click Exit from IV's File menu) the window disappears as expected, but the process (i_view32.exe) remains and monopolizes the CPU. (I suspect it's trying to exit but is being prevented by something; but I'm not a programmer, I really have no idea what's happening.)

The solution mentioned above doesn't help me. Does anyone have any ideas?

I should add that this problem is not unique to IrfanView--the same thing happens with other graphics programs, XNView and FreeVimager. It also occasionally happens with the text editor UltraEdit (version 10.10c). My graphics drivers are up to date.

Many thanks,
          Brig
          Last edited by Brigham; 27.07.2011, 09:29 PM. Reason: Added some information

Comment

Working...
          X