Saving transparency Seems to be broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Saving transparency Seems to be broken

Updated to the latest version of irfanview after a format, and it seems I can't choose the transparent color to save. Even with .gif, if I manually pick the index, it still seems to fail. I tested with .gif and .png, both didn't even ask me to click on the transparent color.

Thanks!
    Last edited by stefan; 07.02.2009, 04:14 PM.

Can't confirm this for the moment.
    First of all, make sure that you've enabled the checkbox 'save transparent colors' in the 'save options' dialog.
    This window pops up next to the Save dialog, when you want to save a GIF or a PNG.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I did of course check those boxes I even checked the radio on .gif for manually setting the index, which failed.

I think this may be a problem with a very restricted user + installing irfanview for "all users". I'm going to test with my admin user, and if it fails, I'll reinstall irfanview to have a copy for each user (I think this is possible, can't remember honestly)

I'll bring some more info later.

UPDATE:

It works with an administrator user. I uninstalled IrfanView completely and reinstalled it, making sure to do "for all users". It still worked as Admin. It still failed as a restricted user.

So I guess the bug is that a restricted user (in windows 2000, can probably make a restricted user in XP also) can't save transparency, seemingly.
      Last edited by cha0s; 22.06.2007, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I run W2000 myself, never such a problem.
        Quite odd though, why such a specific restriction on transparency ?
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I created a limited user profile in order to test things like this (XP Pro). "Berto" was able to save transparency just as well as the rest of me, though "he" has all sorts of problems with other programs and couldn't install so much as a paper bag. IV was installed for all users by my power-user persona, but over an installation of 3.99. If you had a backup copy of the INI file...?
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I "fixed" it by installing into another directory besides c:\program files.

I (and probably others) intentionally restrict my user's access to this folder, and switch to admin if I need to change anything. (hardly ever need to)

The solution is to use %appdata% to store any configuration, instead of the EXE path. Even the most restricted user has access to his own folder, but not necessarily the global %programfiles% directory, which Irfanview is (wrongfully) assuming is writeable. I'm not trying to knock you or anything, I love the app... but it is a bug. I.. dabble in programming myself.

Comment

Aha! Oho! I have it installed in D:\Grafix\Irfan_View. I believe in partitioning for a lot of reasons. I try to keep things from installing in The Default Location unless they really "need" to because it makes backups simpler for me and less damage is done if (when) Windows goes nuclear. Also little details like that!
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I believe in partitioning too. System files are on C (executables, like iview32.exe). "Documents and settings" (where apps are *supposed* to write configuration data is on D.

By installing your programs in global access areas, you're making them vulnerable to tampering. In the proper architecture, only configuration is liable to tampering, not the binary itself.

Wish you'd acknowledge this but... I give up ;p

Comment

Working...
                X