Return to IV 4.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to IV 4.00

AudioX MP3 player broke Irfanview 4.10. Had to uninstall 4.10 and reinstall 4.00. Suspect later versions causing problems with Win98SE. Will stick with 4.00. Seems to work better for me. Hate to lose all the nice goodies offered by 4.10, but it is what it is. Im seventy now and too old to learn XP or Vista anyway. Long live Irfanview and the Support Forum.
    Regards to all,
    Florida USA
    75 Deg. Today!

Ah, woes! As long as it works...there are some features that are leaving 98 behind, like the Paint plugin, so I think that 4.00 is a good place to stop. I still deal with Win98 off and on, though I have XP at home (it's not all that bad, really - just don't desire Vista!). Good to hear you're keeping warm. I won't speak of Wisconsin.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

As long as it works indeed. I have two old laptops with Win98SE, and it's some marking point in restrictions with new app-versions.
      I had to make the same decision with other programs as well : this is the last functioning version.
      I'm 63 and old enough to deny XP or Vista as long as I'm not forced to use it.
      On my main set I'm running W2k and 4.10 is doing fine.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
        Ah, woes! As long as it works...there are some features that are leaving 98 behind, like the Paint plugin, so I think that 4.00 is a good place to stop. I still deal with Win98 off and on, though I have XP at home (it's not all that bad, really - just don't desire Vista!). Good to hear you're keeping warm. I won't speak of Wisconsin.
        IrfanView 4.10 itself still works fine with Win98, Ruffin. It's the plug-ins like Paint that have abandoned it. I would suspect that your problem with AudioX MP3 player could be with a plug-in too. You're never too old to learn Ruffin. I am only 3 years behind you and am getting on OK with Vista after years of Win98. (It's these young lasses that can't cope!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mij
          IrfanView 4.10 itself still works fine with Win98, Ruffin. It's the plug-ins like Paint that have abandoned it
          If so, maybe I should have said '...the last functioning fullversion'.
          Does this mean that, if the Paint.dll is not added, 4.10 is doing well ? Are there maybe more .dll's involved ?
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It's nice to be young
            ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              You're never too old to learn Ruffin. I am only 3 years behind you and am getting on OK with Vista after years of Win98. (It's these young lasses that can't cope!)
              So far no one has shown why we would need to learn Vista and how come its good after all to live with its restrictions. Unverifyable statements like 'Vista is most secure', or 'Vista is faster' don't count. If there comes a point where hardware will no longer have NT5 drivers its because too many people are willing to follow M$.

<rant>

I've met a computer user who completely seriously tried to convince me that Win98 somehow suddenly became insecure or unusable system because Microsoft ended its "support". When I asked what this support was he could not explain it to me. In fact M$ was deliberately trying to lock out modern technologies like USB storage, USB hi-speed out of Win98 a long time before the end of support happened. Today printer manufacturers cannot bundle USB printing driver not because the new ports were somehow electrically incompatible, but because of an... expired license!

M$ wants to sell Windows to existing users over and over again and comes up with license restrictions (the OEM licenses, for example) or marketing crap to achieve it. I'm sickened by the thought that while working for a corporate company I'm required to pay them.

</rant>

Comment

J7N, I have been very happy with Win98SE for 10 years without having to learn another operating system in much depth. There is nothing wrong with it that I can see except that it becomes ever more difficult to find hardware and software that work with it. I now want to learn things that will keep me going for another 10 years. I doubt that XP will still be supported then (and Linux seems to change even faster than Windows). So that's why it's Vista - and it really isn't that bad.
                Sam_Zen, I do have all the 4.10 plug-ins installed in the old Win98 system and I have not yet found any that cause me any problem. Paint.dll just tells me it does not work in Win98. I can play MP3 files through Media player, not AudioX like Ruffin. Media player works fine as a plug-in of Firefox.
                In Vista I have re-directed the INI file to the Application Data folders because I really do not trust these special compatibility folders that Vista uses to make IV work. Eventually even Irfan will be forced to put it there.
                I have been happy with IrfanView too for even more than 10 years. I wonder when I stop being a Beginner on this forum? I am getting to feel I know some of you quite well by now.
                Regards Mij

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                  I wonder when I stop being a Beginner on this forum? I am getting to feel I know some of you quite well by now.
                  Just about when you would become a power user, the bulletin board will get reinstalled (again).

Linux seems to change even faster than Windows
                  Ubuntu will run out of alphabet letters in our lifetime.

I doubt M$ will be able to convince the majority to abandon NT5. I was surprised to see the many embedded devices now running it: an audio mixing console, "hardware" AAC encoder, check out terminals in shops.

How come the MP3 decoder needed to be changed? I suggest you create a graphic-only pack without the multimedia plugins, fully compatible with Win98. The audio players were always a joke.
                  Last edited by j7n; 18.02.2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

The only reason I have XP is that a newer used computer came with it. It completely wrecked my stand as a 98 holdout, and I was doing pretty good at it

I do like being able to update the GIMP, and not having to reboot after accidentally viewing two Windows metafiles
                    ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

How old is that computer (motherboard / videoadapter chipset)?

Here is some valuable stuff for Win98:

After learning about the updates posted there I was able to install a fully functional computer based on i915P w/ PCI-Express, USB 2.0, USB mass storage and large hard drives (not physically large).

Comment

Once I asked at the local pc-store : - Do you ask the buyer first "which OS do you want on your system?", they said no.

Here the monopoly starts. Also the monopoly of the latest version. Still lacking the later to be announced 'patches'.

If a system is finetuned by the user, and everything is working smoothly, there's no reason whatsoever to upgrade the OS.

New versions of applications is another thing. They may loose compatibility with the existing OS.
                        Then it's a choice of using the last 'proper' one, and stay there, or changing to a new OS, to keep up with the possibilities.
                        So also accepting the price of the time-consuming side effects of adjusting the performance and navigation of the new OS.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

OK, we got a bit OT and have left Ruffin out in the cold (at 75 deg). I will admit that the new laptop came with Vista and that is probably the real reason for deserting Win98 - rather like Matera deserting to XP. It is certainly not IrfanView that influenced me. The new version (or what I use of it) works just as well in Win98 as any previous one. Long may IV swim against the tide.

Comment

Working...
                          X