Disk Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disk Size

Im totally new too this program and will mainly be using it too resize pictures for websites .. but i cant seem too find the option too do so??

Isnt there a button somewhere i can press and choose between different pic sizes?? in MB or KB??

Try Ctrl+R or peruse the menus.
    Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

When resizing pictures for the web, aiming for a particular file size is not a good policy. The quality is what matters, so you should decide what quality is acceptable for your intended purpose, then accept whatever file size you get. If the filesize is still too big, then you need to accept a lower pixel count, i.e. a smaller display size.

Irfan View offers different quality settings for saving JPG images: for general use a quality setting of 50 is often acceptable. A photographer would probably not be happy with a quality setting any less than 75. The lowest quality setting that looks good depends on the image. Nature scenes will look better at lower quality settings than photographs of mechanical objects, which have sharply defined outlines.

Screenshots, and any images with few colours, or sharp contrast (e.g. text), should not be saved as JPG at all, but either PNG or GIF, which are lossless formats, and have the additional benefit of transparency.

See Digitial Image File Types for more explanation.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Bhikkhu Pesala has explained this very well. It's a search for the highest quality rather than just filesize.
        But I have strong doubts about : "PNG or GIF, which are lossless formats", by the way.

A good point about screenshots with just a few colors.
        So in order to get the smallest filesize, IV has a nice dialog at Image/Decrease Color Depth. Even with custom numbers.
        Sometimes a window-screenshot can do with 16 or 4 colors without significant change, and be saved as PNG.
        Adjusting this setting first, can reduce the filesize substantially.

As an example, I made a small screenshot of Lurkian's post. A BMP (uncompressed) file of 281 KB.
        Saved it as a full-color JPG file at 50 % compression. Filesize : 12 KB.
        Also decreased the color depth to 16 of the BMP first, and saved it as PNG with quality 6 :

This is 4 KB. I know 8 KB on a fast machine is peanuts, but this has to be seen in a relative perspective.

Quality while resizing : make sure the 'resample' function' is enabled in the process.
        Last edited by Sam_Zen; 25.06.2007, 03:33 AM.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
        X