Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Option to Configure program contols

Option to Configure program contols

I would like to configue keyboard/mouse actions in Irfanview, so far I have not been able to see any - the deafult controls are fine, but an option just to configure the controls would be cool

Example. I want the scroll on my mouse to do a zoom and not go to next image - I can do this in windows fax mage viewer ,Xnview, other image apps. <if this is in Irfanview then perhaps I am missing it.

Agreed.

Mouse wheel Not used for zoom is one of the main annoyances for me with Irfanview. In every other program I use for image editing, I use the wheel for zoom, because it feels very natural. I hate not being able to set this up in Irfanview.
    Sites4Biz | Grimaldi - UK Heavy Metal | The Hell Hole

Comment

Hold down control while using the mouse-wheel to zoom.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

YES, I actually just registered to complain about this, The mouse wheel NEEDS to be either scroll or zoom, and click an and hold mouseleft should me move. And keys should be changable. To be honest this just make infran annoying to use. And because of these silly shortcut keys I am uninstalling, it's just too annoying to use. Pity that.

Comment

Support for enhancement.
          Whether it results in zooming in, or going to the next image, I first like to be able to disable the mousewheel from such functions. Also because I already can use keyboard shortcuts for zooming or next/previous.
          Most of the actions take place with using L or R buttons. But fingers get tired, so just tonight it happened again, that I accidentally touched the wheel, and suddenly shifted to another bitmap during work. Very annoying.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Also supporting from this address.
            If need be turn around the functions: Ctrl-mousewheel = next/previous ; Mousewheel = zoom in/out (zoom follows the mouse position please).

In contrast with the previous replies, IV then won't act the same as most other viewers, where the mousewheel happen to be standard = next/previous. XnView, FastStoneViewer, CompuPic and my old ACDSee 2.44 act on this standard. In XnView, FastStone and ACDSee you also must press the Ctrl-key to zoom with the mousewheel. In CompuPic you can zoom in with the z-key and the zooming starts from the position of the mousepointer.

Because IV is a viewer with a differend construction, it would be very usefull when zooming is managed by the mousewheel (without the ctrl-key) to avoid slip up's.

Comment

count me in
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Turning around those functions is indeed the solution for my accidental touches. An unintended zoom, but at least I stay in the same bitmap.
                And the zoom following the mouse position is an excellent idea.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Well, I guess I have to disagree with some of you.

1. The slow scrolling with the mouse-wheel is actually good. You have the scrollbars for fast scrolling and the wheel for slow scrolling and fine control.

2. The zoom with control key is good too and the same as other viewers so don't change that.

3. The zoom to the mouse pointer does not work as well as it should.

Hopefully some of these will be improved in the next release, which we are all hoping for soon. No doubt some things will be better for some of us and worse for others.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                    count me in
                    +1

Untold times I have made changes to an image, via filters mostly, and then lost them because of the mousewheel and/or arrow keys took me to the next file in the directory.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
                      Untold times I have made changes to an image, via filters mostly, and then lost them because of the mousewheel and/or arrow keys took me to the next file in the directory.
                      The problem is not that the mouse wheel scrolls to the next image, the problem is that there is no warning diialogue if you have made changes to the image. If you haven't made any changes, then it really is no problem to scroll back again.

Scrollwheel without the control key should be reserved for the most commonly used action. If you don't use IV for browsing images then turn off that option, then you won't accidentally scroll to the next image and lose changes. Use the thumbnail browser instead for browsing. Properties, Misc1.

Comment

Today I noticed for the first time a bad inconsistency in the mouse wheel behavior. I have unchecked the wheel & keys jump-to-next option, but that does not reliably stop the wheel jump. The wheel obeys only if the image is larger than the screen. If the image fits the screen or is smaller, the wheel still jumps, no matter what. If the "fit to screen" option (F) is toggled on, it always jumps with the wheel.
                        OW!
                        Its: Belongs to "It"
                        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                        ---------------------
                        Lose: Fail to keep
                        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Two previous posters bring out two very important issues:

1. As Bhikkhu Pesala mentioned, it really is a problem that IrfanView does not warn us when the changes to the image are about to be discarded.
                          2. Matera is right that shortcuts should be consistent, that is, they need to perform the same action regardless of whether you are in fullscreen or not, or whether an image is zoomed beyond window size or not, etc.

As for shortcuts themselves, I think they should be customizable (both keys and mouse), because, as this thread shows, everybody has their own preferences as to what they should be.
                          Last edited by bohdan; 21.11.2007, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Nice summary.
                            Customization isn't one of my priorities now, the point of consistency is.
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Maybe this could fix my "double click = toggle fullscreen" request ? :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X