iview thumbnail closes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iview thumbnail closes

When a folder is clicked on sometimes iview/thumbnail will just close. no message
    I brought iview back up and tried several times and iview would close on different folders
    This happens on 2 computors

I ran iview/thumbs with dependency walker and got this:
    00:00:18.000: DllMain(0x7C800000, DLL_THREAD_DETACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL" called by thread 31.
    00:00:18.000: DllMain(0x7C800000, DLL_THREAD_DETACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL" returned 2147332097 (0x7FFDB001) by thread 31.
    00:00:18.000: DllMain(0x7C900000, DLL_THREAD_DETACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" called by thread 31.
    00:00:18.000: DllMain(0x7C900000, DLL_THREAD_DETACH, 0x00000000) in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" returned 1 (0x1) by thread 31.
    00:00:18.000: Thread 31 exited with code 0 (0x0). (((This is where I think the problem shows up// at this point the thumbnails no longer show up)))
    00:01:59.125: First chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" at address 0x7C91B3FB by thread 1.
    00:01:59.141: First chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "c:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL" at address 0x7C91B3FB by thread 1.

I am not a programer so if someone out there is this might mean something to them

I have XP home
    Iview v4.0 and plugin v4
    Hope this gives enough info

any ideas
    dancer41
    Last edited by dancer41; 27.06.2007, 12:39 AM. Reason: more info

Do you keep track of which folders cause the disappearance? Is it random or is there a pattern, size - attributes - permissions, whatever? I would bet it is more Windows' fault - but then I blame everything on Windows
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

iview

There doesn't appear to be any pattern. The same folder will work one time but not another. I cannot find anything common about when the problem happens. I have opened one folder after another and opened 30 folders before it happens, the next time it might happen the first or second folder

Thanks for the ideas
      dancer41

Comment

Hmm. This looks like one of those odd Windows "allergies" that come and go as things get subtly messed up behind the scenes, but on two computers...are they completely separate or networked? Cleanup and "grooming" done frequently? I don't know, so far it hasn't happened here.
        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

The computors are networked but very seldom are files transfered, it is mainly for internet and printer. Both as far as I can tell are clean. One I did a full reinstall about 3 months ago and is not used much.

dancer41

Comment

iview thumbnail closes

I have been using Irfanview as my preferred "quick" image browser since my P3 and WIN98, and the thumbnail viewer has _always_ had this problem.
            Stepping through folders to get to the one you want is when it quits, and using the same steps, sometimes it crashes and not others... Using other viewers' browsers (PSP4, PSP8, Photoshop) there is not a problem.

I have seen Windows blamed for this, but in this case, over multiple O/S's and PC's, IMHO it is Irfanview...

Maybe others do not use the thumbnail viewer as much as I do, but I look forward to one day seeing a fix.

Comment

I have always had occasional crashes of the tn viewer too, but it usually bletches about an access violation or something, and it is usually when I am clicking around too fast in very full folders. I can't recall seeing it go down very often with no error message.
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Yep. One can think of some bug or violation, but very often just clicking around too fast during a running process can cause problems.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Browser Problem

I have the same problem. The Thumbnail Browser just closes when I select any folder. WIndows XP sp2 and Iview 4.0

Comment

Did you try to work with the option Resample set to off? The images in the folders are put one by one in a temporary buffer. Buffering and Resampling at the same time may be too much to handle for IV during a quick click-browsing through the folders.

Comment

Hi,

this is a known bug on dual core or quad core computers. Please report if you have such a system.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Is there any known or planned fix for this problem on dual core computers? I dearly hope so since it makes my beloved Irfanview unusable on my computer!

Will it fix the problem if I use an older version of Irfanview? If so, where can I find an older version?

Thank you.

Doran

winxp
                        Intel Core 2 Duo

Comment

You can find older versions here
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
                            Hi,
                            this is a known bug on dual core or quad core computers. Please report if you have such a system.
                            Regards, Nils.
                            Yes, I agree. It sounds like the dreaded dual core thumbnail crash. The clue is that it happens when NTDLL.DLL is called.
                            I tested back to v3.97 and it still happened on my system.

Comment

Working...
                            X