Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Capture Scrolling Window

Hello,

Some features of FastStone Capture, a shareware software, are very interesting; specially the functions Capture Scrolling Window (and Capture Rectangle Region) and Screen Color Picker.

FastStone Capture
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.04.2023, 09:28 AM.

Originally posted by lmb View Post
    Hello,

Some features of FastStone Capture, a shareware software, are very interesting; specially the functions Capture Scrolling Window (and Capture Rectangle Region) and Screen Color Picker.

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm
    You haven't given too much detail in your post...

Anyways, have you tried IrfanView's Capture/ Screenshot feature, with Automatic Timer Delay on? Just start IrfanView and press C, for the Capture/ Screenshot dialog box to pop up, from where you can see the Automatic Timer Delay setting.

Is that what you're looking for?
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

No, that's not what the OP wants. Capture scrolling window captures the entire page in a browser as you scroll down as a single image.

I don't see the point of implementing screen capture in IrfanView at all. It is something that is needed system wide, not just when using IrfanView, so it makes more sense to use a dedicated screen capture utility like FastStone Capture that loads at Windows startup, and is available from any application — whether that's IrfanView, Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, or OpenOffice.

Why bother to add screen capture utilities to any of those programs? It merely adds clutter to the menus, uses additional shortcut assignments, causes inconsistencies and conflicts between applications, and is a waste of code.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ah ok, I didn't notice the FastStone link, under lmb's original post!
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

I realize this is a very old post, but this came up as the first search result on google. So thought I'd update.
          You can capture a scrolling window using Irfanview (Version 4.37). Tested on Win7.
          Options -> Capture/Screenshot...
          Then under Capture area:, select 6) Object selected with the mouse (use left mouse button click, ESC to stop)
          And under Options:, select Scroll window vertically (if Object capture) (if possible; doesn't work with all windows)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	cap-set.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	81130
          However, it doesn't work with all windows (as mentioned in the capture window). You'll have to try and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by insectinegate View Post
            You can capture a scrolling window using Irfanview (Version 4.37). Tested on Win7.
            Perhaps you should update your profile as well as your IrfanView version if you're using 4.37.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi all
              I realize this is a very old post, but this came up as the first search result on google. So thought I'd update.

There is a need for Scrolling Screenshot in web browsers that is unresolved.

Most browsers have a native function to capture entire web page in a image, but it doesn't work for some webpage that handle their scrolling in via a special HTML/CSS code.
              It also doesn't work if the webpage have some input text field that overlap the scrolling text.
              Your typical example would be an entire chat.openai.com discussion, it is difficult to screenshot.
              Here are my results with 3 popular web browsers :

Chrome : Ctrl-Shift-I + Ctrl-Shift-P + type "screenshot"
              verdict : doesn't scroll

Chrome : add extension Gofullpage
              verdict : scrolls, but merge incorrectly

Edge : ... + WebCapture or Ctrl-Shift-S
              ?
              Firefox : ... + More Tools + Customize Toolbar + ScreenShot?
              ?
              So I suspect the winning solution would be to manually capture many screenshots one by one with IrfanView's Option | Capture, and then to merge them with IrfanView's Image | Create Panorama Vertical
              Last edited by AlexisPERR; 11.04.2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Hmmm nope.
                I was falsely assuming that Irfanview's Create Panorama had some kind of intelligence that would merge correctly the screenshots where they perfectly overlap, but no.

I have heard that now defunct Microsoft's I.C.E (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Composite_Editor) could do such a thing. I will try.

Comment

That's right. IrfanView can only join images one next to another.

Taking a screenshot is not the ideal way to capture text from a web page. You can either copy the text using clipboard or print the web page using PDF printer.
                  My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                    You can either copy the text using clipboard
                    Really ? ?
                    ?
                    You can [...] print the web page using PDF printer.
                    No it doesn't work on chat.openai.com. Only the first page gets printed.
                    ?
                    Taking a screenshot is not the ideal way.
                    ??It is the ideal way for my intent. Plus it is the topic of this thread since June 2007..

Comment

See my earlier post. IrfanView is never going to be the ideal tool for every task. It does a lot, much of it extremely well, and sometimes as good or better than expensive software. I had no luck getting it to capture a scrolling web page, but I don't need to so I did not try too hard.

FastStone Capture is an excellent tool for Windows users. It has far more options than IrfanView, and will capture scrolling web pages (No doubt there are still some pages that it cannot capture). Version 5.3 was the last Freeware version, but the latest Shareware version is worth the $ for the extra features, like creating videos.

The Image Composite Editor was an excellent free tool, and it will stitch images together, provided they have sufficient overlap. It is no longer available, and due to copyright reasons I cannot share it on my software reviews website, so I removed the page.

Comment

FastStone Capture 5.3 indeed is able to scroll the openai webpage, but the stich fails and the content is garbled.

I finally had success with Microsoft I.C.E.
                        The procedure is as follow :

- manually create a set of png with IrfanView's Capture with Capture area = 7) Fixed screen rectangle
                        - make sure that the pngs overlap each other as you scroll down and press Ctrl-F11
                        - install ICE-2.0.3-for-64-bit-Windows.msi? from web.archive.org
                        - create vertical panorama, one column, starting up

It works.

Comment

FastStone Capture 9.9 captures the Open AI page without issues. I resized the image by 25% to fit this forum, and cropped off my browser UI toolbars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Open AI Webpage.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	97781

Comment

yes I confirm FastStone Capture 9.9 works great with chat.openai.com

Comment

Working...
                            X