word and hyperlinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

word and hyperlinks

Ok, here's my problem: I have several Word files full of hyperlinks, most of these leading to *.jpgs. (which I use to compare text and *pictures* of text (scans)
    When I was working on Windows NT, no problem, but I recently switched to XP, and now every time I click on one of those links, the graphic file opens with Internet Explorer, not Irfanview, which is a real pain in the donkey.
    I searched all the internet to find an answer to no avail. My files association are correct, Irfanview is my default image viewer, works fine, etc.
    Any help greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by hadrathus View Post
    I searched all the internet to find an answer to no avail.
    Really! How long did that take?

Short of using Open Office to edit your Word Documents, I think that what you need to do is change something in the Internet Explorer options. Try Internet Options, Multimedia, and uncheck "Show Pictures."

I cannot test this since I don't have Word, and my default browser is Opera.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Really! How long did that take?

Can't help you either here, although I have Open Office, just to be able to open Word-docs. My default browser is Firefox
      and I have no intention whatsoever to touch Internet Exploder for a test.
      But I wondered : what do you mean by hyperlink ? Just "filename.jpg" or something with a full path ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I don't doubt there is a problem. I used to be able to open a *.url file in a text editor by way of an "Open" dialog (as well as using the SendTo menu or my own context menu "edit" hack, which still work) but XP is very different in its interpretation of internet-type shortcut behavior. Now if I forget and try to open one of my "Favorites" to edit an obsolete link, the poor text editor is forced to attempt to load a webpage. I don't know if there is any way to break it without blowing up IE, torturing Word, and doing painful things to the Registry. It's a big chunk of Micro$not attitude.

You could try using something other than Word to store the text and links. Treepad (including the Lite version) can create hyperlinks, and a link to an image file will open in IrfanView - I just double-checked that.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
        X