Selection locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Selection locking

An option for locking up selections within the limits of the image. When a selection is moved close to the edges of the image, you may go beyond it as the coordinates adquire negative values.

Regards.

Yes, this would be very nice. Support!
    Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

This is not clear enough to me. It's already so, that if a selection is made, manually or custum, that the selection can be
      moved with the R-mouse partially outside the picture.

I checked, but filling in a negative value in the custom selection dialog is not possible, and why should it be.
      But what do you mean by locking ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
        This is not clear enough to me. It's already so, that if a selection is made, manually or custum, that the selection can be

I checked, but filling in a negative value in the custom selection dialog is not possible, and why should it be.
        I think that what you describe in your first paragraph is precisely what the OP does not want. If you drag the selection too far up or left and go partly outside the picture, IV reports negative X or Y coordinates for the origin and unchanged width and height. If you then use the selection for a crop for instance you find that is not true - the cropped image will be smaller than stated with origin 0,0.

As with many requests it may be important to the OP that the crop size is maintained, but to others the present behavior is just what is wanted. You can't satisfy everyone.

Comment

You've got a point there. If maintaining the original selection size, cropping the picture would mean :
          filling in the 'negative' areas with the background color as is done with a canvas.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

You've got a point there. If maintaining the original selection size, cropping the picture would mean :
            filling in the 'negative' areas with the background color as is done with a canvas.
            ...which is exactly what happens in another program that I use. (It's a nice quick way of adding canvas around the edges of an image, actually). IV does not do that though, so you might argue why allow the user to drag the selection box outside the limits of the image if the area outside cannot be used?

Comment

Well, in fact there's no unused 'outside' area for IV to deal with. The point is the indication in the title bar with negative coords, which give the false impression.
              I could even move a selection totally outside the picture, of course without any cropping result. The pic stayed as it was.
              But the title coords just went along with the position outside the size of the bitmap, also in positive direction.
              Quite silly actually.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Get XnView, select something inside the image, drag this selection around and tell me if you notice something different. I'll tell you, the selection in XnView does not leave the image if you touch the borders, it collides instead.

Comment

You're right again Jokale! Selection in IV is a little futile (insignificant if you want). However, making a selection in IV is in the first place aimed to copy to clipboard or crop to selection (Ctrl+Y). More importantly, one can notice, that a copy of a selection to clipboard is deformed after pasting in a selection with different co-ord's due to the lack of layers. The same deformation appears in XnView, so why bother about bumping selections? Making a selection you can pull your mouse outside the canvas, the measurement of the co-ordinates no doubt tells you the exact results.

Comment

Well, the reason I'd find this useful is speed. Using the coordinates from the "Create custom selection" sure does get the job done, but it takes time to figure out the values that would place the selection in the right position.

Just picture this; you have a 1024x768 image and then you create a custom selection of 1024x320. What would be faster, trying out several values for Y till the selection is placed exactly where you want or moving that selection up/down with your mouse?, the answer is obvious, but you need the hand steadiness of a chinese miniaturist to prevent this selection from leaving the lateral borders.

Another workaround would be making it possible to move selections with pixel precision using the keyboard instead

Comment

Hi Jokale,
                      I like the way you continue to make your point. You don't give up easy. Step by step you've reached the point of no return. The 'Create custom selection' is indeed not workable in your example. Also, most graphical programs show regions with grips. Not so in IV. It's the same way Photoshop works standard with regions and no bumping against the borders there either. So the IV-methode to make regions is not so abnormal.

Your remark of making it possible to move a selection by pixel using the arrow keys, is a strong point Jokale. In most progs one can even use the Shift or Ctrl key to move 10 pixels. Your request will be recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokale View Post
                        Well, the reason I'd find this useful is speed. Using the coordinates from the "Create custom selection" sure does get the job done, but it takes time to figure out the values that would place the selection in the right position.

Just picture this; you have a 1024x768 image and then you create a custom selection of 1024x320. What would be faster, trying out several values for Y till the selection is placed exactly where you want or moving that selection up/down with your mouse?, the answer is obvious, but you need the hand steadiness of a chinese miniaturist to prevent this selection from leaving the lateral borders.

Another workaround would be making it possible to move selections with pixel precision using the keyboard instead
                        Can I plug the main feature I am requesting in the "Custom selection extras" thread on this forum which could be useful to you. In many cases it could be far easier to make a coarse selection by hand and then to open the custom selection box to make fine adjustments to position or size. The "As set" button that I am requesting to transfer the hand selected co-ordinates into the custom selection box seems an obvious missing feature and one that appears to me quite easy to implement. I am disappointed that my post there has so far raised no interest at all.

Comment

Hi Mij, sorry for your disappointment. We are thruly interested in all threads. But I have to establish your thread in this case is a little bit hard to understand. For as far as I 'get the picture' the copy and paste option or Ctrl+Y should settle this problem. And you said it yourself:
                          Originally posted by Mij View Post
                          As with many requests it may be important to the OP that the crop size is maintained, but to others the present behavior is just what is wanted. You can't satisfy everyone.

Comment

I think perhaps you misunderstood Sjef. I am not referring to my posting earlier in this thread but to another Feature request I posted recently here http://irfanview-online.com/vb/showthread.php?t=289
                            under the title "Custom selection extras". I believe that the feature I requested there could help Jokale with his problem too.

Comment

Now that I have done my little advert for the other feature I would like in Custom Selection, here is a tip I have posted before. If you do frequently need to create selection boxes that go right up to the edge of the image, it is worth using Custom Selection box and leaving it set with Selection position at 0,0 and Selection size at say 9999,9999 (bigger than your largest images). When you Apply that you get a selection box right around the edges of the image. You can leave where they are the sides you want at the edges and simply drag in the other sides of the box to where you want them.

Comment

Working...
                              X