Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CR2 format: auto-detect of orientation doesn't work

Hi,

I have a Canon EOS digital camera. When I take pictures, either landscape (horizontal) or portrait (vertical), the canon software (ZoomBrowserEX) will display them in the correct position; I mean, vertical or horizontal, according to what I shot.

However, if I take the CF card, and plug it via USB to my PC, to see them with IrfanView, IrfanView will show all of them horizontally. No matter if I took them portrait (vertical), IrfanView will always shows them as landscape.

I'm not a CR2 expert, but I guess this info about orientation should be somewhere in the same file, since once downloaded using the canon software, the canon software displays them correctly.

I hope someone could fix this. I've stopped using IrfanView since it's very annoying have to be rotating the files by hand everytime.

Best regards,

Leo

Have you checked the options in Properties, JPG/PCD/GIF to autorotate images using EXIF info?

If that doesn't work, "Try to load CRW/CR2 usin canon.dlls" (Properties, Plugins).
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks Bhikku,

I've tried both options, but no luck. Still all images as landscape.

Regards,

Leo

Comment

Have a look at the orientation tag in the EXIF data. If it says Top Left then one of your software programs, either Zoom Browser or IrfanView, has reset it for you to the landscape default. That is quite common. In Irfanview if you don't want that to happen make sure you check Show Options on the Save dialog and then uncheck Reset EXIF Orientation tag.

Comment

Working...
        X