48-bit Color Precision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested 48-bit Color Precision

Is it possible to add support for more color depths, such as 48-bit. Most, even cheap, scanners are capable of outputting 48 bit data, so that the picture can be adjusted at a later time without accumulating rounding errors. Irfan 3.98 just crashes when fed with 48bits from TWAIN.

While I like IV because it is streamlined, this is a feature I think would be very nice.

I currently use some dinky program called PhotoStudio for scanning in 48 bit, but it only outputs to TIF and their own PSF extension.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
      Is it possible to add support for more color depths, such as 48-bit. Most, even cheap, scanners are capable of outputting 48 bit data, so that the picture can be adjusted at a later time without accumulating rounding errors. Irfan 3.98 just crashes when fed with 48bits from TWAIN.
      Just because I'm interested what people are doing. What do you like to scan in 48bit and to adjust then? Images created with a camera, Ok, but images from scanners? Are you working in the forensic area? ;-)

Irfanview uses internally the Windows DIB format (simular to BMP). This format does not support 48bit or a channel concept. So, I guess to change to 48bit Irfan has to exchange the complete kernel of Irfanview. Makes not really sense for an image viewer as long as standard drawing interface does not allow more then 24 bits.

Do you know what kind of DIB your Twain driver provides to Irfanview? Is this a proprietary extension to twain?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Frog View Post
        I currently use some dinky program called PhotoStudio for scanning in 48 bit, but it only outputs to TIF and their own PSF extension.
        If you are talking about Photofiltre Studio, thats much more than a dinky program ... It does almost everything an average user would need and much more with a great lot of simplicity!

Comment

48 bit support

We need this as well. All our scanning for the cultural heritage world as well as corporate archives is done at 16 bits per channel. The fact that IrView downsamples the TIFFs to 8 bits per channel makes the program useless for us.

This is a shame as we need a good way to generate JP2 files from 16 bit/channel TIFFs. We paid $30 for the LuraWave plug-in to IrView but since the TIFFs are first downsampled, this won't work. Another waste of $$.

Howard Brainen
          TWO CAT DIGITAL

Comment

48 bit processing

I now save my digital camera processed raw images as 48 bit tif files. IrfanView loads fine but truncates to 24 bit per pixel. Are there plans to process both 24 and 48 bit data in IrfanView? I know this takes more memory but the resultant output can be great when printed or displayed correctly.

Thanks,
            RON C

Comment

+1 for 48bit support
              Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
              doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
              ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
              ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

I cannot understand why anyone needs this in IrfanView. If you're working with such images surely you need to be using photo-editing software, not a simple image viewer. Can one detect any more than 24-bit colour on a monitor?
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Dynamic Range

It would be great to have this feature built into IV.

I've added on the necessary bits to a Canon 700F scanner that will allow it to scan 16mm and 35mm motion film automatically (400ft rolls at a time). I was hoping to use 48bit colour... but it's turned out to be one of the most difficult parts of the project.

To answer Bhikkhu Pesala :
                  Most people, from what I've seen can't see the difference between 32bit and 48bit colour depth. 48bit colour depth does have a use though in that it allows you to extract fine colour differences from shadows and highlights. 48bit colour depth gives an image editor more data to work within, often allowing a person to recover an over or under exposed image or to adjust the colour levels/white balance without further damaging the image (relative to output).

The idea is to have your source image in a better quality container, so that you can maximise the use of your output container. A similar dynamic exists between JPEG and bitmap storage... you generally edit in an uncompressed format and then output to a compressed format at the end of the process.

And yes... IV is a swiss army knife... and I don't believe people should expect it to do everything... fancy bells and whistles are one thing but colour depth is at the core of an image viewing application, just like resolution. If you want to use Unix programmes as an example (as this forums sticky does)... the cp programme, for copying files ONLY copies files... but if it only supports 32bit file sizes, it won't be very useful. Allowing the cp command to work with a larger memory space and therefore larger files doesn't change the number of features the application has, it just improves the existing features.

That's my take on it anyway.

I love IV... I recommend it to everyone! :P

Comment

Working...
                  X