improving batch rename function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested improving batch rename function

I have used irfanview for over 4 or 5 years now but since then i have been advancing much in computers. After the last week i've begun to worry about security of my images. Usually i convert and rename my images with irfanview before uploading them to my gallery.

I was hoping that the developement team could add a possibility for random characters and numbers in rename process.
    ex: I could rename my images to 9 randomly placed upper and lower case characters and numbers.

You might want to get a specialized renamer for that. They come in handy for other things too.. I just ran across 14a - slightly overwhelming options! (I haven't tried it out yet)

Just because I'm nosy...why random names?
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Total Commander has a nice versatile Multi-rename tool, but not with randomize I'm afraid.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I gave the 1-4A renamer a good tryout. I dub it the Renamer Of The Gods. It rules.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Yep, it looked promising indeed, so I will give it a tryout too.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
            Just because I'm nosy...why random names?
            well because i like to keep my webpages secure. If i have a private album with 300 pictures and some person who has access links to the image directly to another person it's not hard to guess out the other pictures.
            its like https://www.mysite.com/coppermine/al...s/img_3420.jpg and then the person then could just dl all the rest of the images by simply changing the ending. If i had randon names it wouldn't be possible because directory listing is forbidden (well it is possible ofcourse but harder). I'm an amateur photographer and i have over 60 private albums on my site with around 4000 pictures (no nudity if thats what you ment) but some rather private photoshoots and parties with friends.

This topic came out for me because i spotted a person just dublicating one of my private albums to a public album on fotki.com, which i really don't like. Now i'm trying to upgrade security on my site.

And well the more function-filled irfanview would be the more people would be interested in it.
            Last edited by kxp; 02.07.2007, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Ah, now I understand the problem. To avoid people to 'slurp' the directory in an easy way.
              I must admit that I know the trick to check if the content of the UNIX-dir shows up, if doing :

This can be prevented, by having a dummy index.html file in the dir.
              But this doesn't help, if one has a link to 'img_3420' and thinks 'let's try 3421'.
              I don't think you only depend on doing this with a random generator.

First of all, you need to introduce more variation. So don't use the default 'img' prefix, but e.g. replace it into smaller groups of strings, which define more the content of the picture. So there is 'john_3420' and 'party_3434'.
              So if one tries increasing a number, he only succeeds with a small part.
              Secondly, it is possible to 'scramble' the numbers a bit, by taking only one character to rename by some kind of order like 0 - 9, and then renaming another character with some order which hasn't the same length as the decimal one, like a - z.
              So all kind of combinations will be created in the list of files.

Nothing is 100 % proof in cases like this, so it's better trying to make the access as difficult as possible.
              I experienced the same with my compositions in Mp3 format (~500 MB) on my server. A few times some robot was used to download anything ending with .mp3. So, for the moment, I converted them all to the .ogg format to avoid this, and it worked.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

well thats something i wanted to achive...basicly with randomizer i wouldn't even have to worry about some pictures getting the same prefix. Also, i have a different directory for every album so i won't have to worry about dublicate names. The guy would just have to randomly try every possible name. too bad for him that my site is protected against brute force attacks. Also all of the indexes are forbidden if i wont set it otherwise.

I'm still hoping that some developer would take this idea into consideration to improve batch renamer.

Comment

In the meantime, with some creativity, you could use the Batch Renamer of IV to scramble things.
                  Especially with the numbers. You could use abnormal values, like starting with 7 and increment with 13.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                  X