Irfanview does not really exit when hitting ESC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irfanview does not really exit when hitting ESC

I had posted this bug in another thread but it really deserves its own thread as it may be a separate bug. This occurs with Irfanview 4.10, on Windows XP 32bit.

Irfanview remains in memory when I hit escape in the following situation:

Have the following option selected:

[x] Start in full screen mode (if image loaded; single ESC for program exit)

When I hit ESC, it indeed closes the window...but the i_view32.exe process remains.

If you hit ESC the second time when this option is enabled, it will kill the process, even though the window isn't showing (once you click elsewhere, though, the ESC doesn't seem to get sent to the window). So basically you still have to hit ESC twice even with this setting, but the second ESC isn't obvious.

The first ESC hides the window, and the second ESC closes the process. Unfortunately the user has no idea the process is still in memory after the first ESC. Additionally, clicking somewhere else makes it impossible to do the second ESC, which means you have to resort to task manager. This behavior definitely seems like a bug since it creates a process with no window and no way to cleanly kill it.

-Dan

Thanks for the clear bug report, but I'm unable to reproduce this issue.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hmm

I apologize for not giving you the specific circumstances. I had assumed this was always a bug but it turns out it only applies when running irfanview with /slideshow=<slideshowfolder>

While discovering this, I found that the bug has another aspect. In the same circumstance, hitting "Z" to zoom also makes the windows disappear! However, the process stays in memory in that case as well.

To summarize, the bug can be reproduced as follows:

Make sure this option is checked:
      [x] Start in full screen mode (if image loaded; single ESC for program exit)

Make sure there are images in c:\slideshow

Start irfanview as follows:
      i_view32.exe /slideshow="c:\slideshow

Hit either "ESC" or "Z" and observe that irfanview window disappears.

ctrl-shift-ESC and observe that i_view32.exe process remains.

Dan

Comment

That's better. Now I can confirm it.

Bug report logged
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.05.2008, 06:48 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X