V4.10: IrfanView crashes with BMP file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed V4.10: IrfanView crashes with BMP file

irfanview crashes when the bfOffBits header field is set incorrectly (in the attached image it points inside the color table)
    Attached Files

wow. it sure does crash it
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Crash confirmed. But is it a bug if the header field of a bitmap is not correct ?
      On the other hand, PSP opened this file correctly, and if saved again as BMP, IV could read it.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Yes, I think it is a bug. Any program worth its salt should be able to handle corrupt files without crashing. At least it should show a dialogue saying "Invalid file format." I opened the file OK in MS Paint, Corel PhotoPaint, Micrografx Picture Publisher 6.0, and Serif PhotoPlus.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Added Bug Report
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

A file like that must be considered corrupted. IV should understand this (since reading the bitmap data makes it go past the end of the file) and say to the user "Damaged file" (or something like that) and eventually try to recover what it can (defaulting bfOffBits to a "normal" value).
            IrfanPaint developer
            The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
            IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

I'm convinced now, it's indeed a bug.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I suppose this is an old post - just how old I cannot say, since the date of posting isn't shown. Anyways, the 'bug' is fixed - downloaded the BMP, it opened easily under IrfanView 4.25!
                Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                IrfanView Website - Here
                Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
                  I suppose this is an old post - just how old I cannot say, since the date of posting isn't shown.
                  Post date and time is shown at the top left corner of the post — 31.05.2008, 10:43 PM

Comment

Ohh Yes! I can't believe I didn't notice that earlier on!
                    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                    IrfanView Website - Here
                    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
                    X