Fullscreen "resample" option not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fullscreen "resample" option not working

Hi! , i have "resample" option "checked" in both modes "window" and "fullscreen", in windowed mode the resample works just fine but in fullscreen mode it isn't, as you zoom in and/or out the image looks jaggy as i said it only happens in fullscreen mode

If you have checked ‘Fit to screen’ IrfanView will show your picture nice and bright in Full screen when ‘Resample’ also is checked. I've never seen the resample-effect in Window mode. The only viewer I know of that keeps resampling when zooming in and out is CompuPic Pro.

Comment

Hi Sjef! Ok first of all sorry about my poor english, ok lets say that i'm opening an image with 1024 X 768 pixels, if you zoom at ....let's say 150% in windowed mode it looks better than if you do the same in fullscreen mode, try it, make screenshots, compare them and you will see what i mean.

Comment

Sorry SIDMX, not any difference here. (my English is poor too!)
        I made screenshots and compared them... no distinction what so ever.
        Can't imagine you can see difference between windowed mode and full screen when zoomed in at 150%.
        Compare my screenshots...
        Attached Files

Comment

Fullscreen "resample" option really isn't working

I think SIDMX was right! The fullscreen "resample" option really isn't working. I discovered the same problem by accident.

I also have the "resample" option 'checked' in both 'window' and 'fullscreen' modes:
          • Under View>Display options (window mode), I have 'Fit only big images to window' and 'Use "Resample" for display options (for better quality)' checked.
          • Under the 'Properties/Settings' dialog box, on the 'Full screen' tab, I have 'Use "Resample" function for display options (slower, but better quality)' and under 'Full screen/Slideshow display options:', 'Fit to screen: large images only (recommended)' checked.

Just as SIDMX said, I notice that in window mode the image is smooth as you zoom, but in fullscreen mode it looks jagged as you zoom.

I found little difference in your screenshots, Sjef, but I am not sure how you made them. This problem probably affects smaller images more than larger ones.

I created example screenshots as well, which as you will see, definitely show a difference. I used a 800x600 .jpg image zoomed in at 215% in both modes. Other percentages have a similar effect as well. Take a look!
          Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone verified whether or not this is a bug? Do you need any more information?

I have provided the original JPG file that I used in my example screenshots, in order for anyone to verify the problem. Tell me if you can reproduce it on your system.
            Attached Files

Comment

No bug what so ever. The resample option is made for images BIGGER than the screenresolution. Try a big image of say 3000 x 2000 pixels in full screen (fit to screen mode). With and without the resample option on. Then you'll see the difference. And that's what the resample option is made for. Not to keep resampling the pixels when zooming in or out.

Comment

I tried some bigger images than my screen resolution (1024x768) using fit to screen mode, with and without resample on, in both modes. I do see the difference you describe. Comparing both modes individually, images do look smoother with resample on, than with it off when I don't use zoom.

However, the zoom level for window mode would be different than fullscreen mode, due to the differences in space for fitting. This has me confused, because if there are different available spaces for fitting, leading to different zoom levels when fitted, wouldn't that be equivalent to a user zooming in or out (while remaining within 100% zoom), which you say resampling isn't made for? Are you suggesting that a resample can only be performed once, at the time the image is fitted? Thus, it would be adaptable to any space, but not allow any images user-zoomed to be resampled?

Still, when I zoom in or out, staying below 100%, the image is smoother and slower to load than in fullscreen mode. The same happens when zooming in or out above 100% zoom. If resample works the way you say it does, why are there these differences between modes, which was evident in my screenshots, and in images larger than my screen size? Are you saying that fullscreen mode should not display images in the same manner as window mode, such as when zooming?

Comment

Full screen resample

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                  ...Are you saying that fullscreen mode should not display images in the same manner as window mode, such as when zooming?
                  Fullscreen mode shows images in the same manner as in Windows mode. Zooming or not. But when “Resample” is set to ON in the FULL SCREEN dialog, IrfanView looks at your screenresolution (and gets just a tiny bit slower), and uses this parameter to perform a kind of fixed interpolation-formule to the image, which is not a dynamic one, because it isn't performed when zooming in or out. So, even when Resample is on, zooming will undo this Fullscreen ‘interpolation’ and IrfanView takes another methode to handle the pixels. In Window mode, interpolation won't work. If it did, the program would be slow and the fastness of IrfanView is just one of the reasons I'm using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                    ...But when “Resample” is set to ON in the FULL SCREEN dialog, IrfanView looks at your screenresolution (and gets just a tiny bit slower), and uses this parameter to perform a kind of fixed interpolation-formule to the image, which is not a dynamic one, because it isn't performed when zooming in or out. So, even when Resample is on, zooming will undo this Fullscreen ‘interpolation’ and IrfanView takes another methode to handle the pixels...
                    I agree that this appears to be happening.

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                    ...In Window mode, interpolation won't work. If it did, the program would be slow and the fastness of IrfanView is just one of the reasons I'm using it.
                    You seem to be ignoring the fact that IrfanView has a resample option in window mode. Perhaps the fastness your referring to, is with this option OFF. I have the option ON and the program is slow, especially when zooming. Therefore, that's why I think the resampling is dynamic in window mode. When resample is OFF, the program is fast during zooming, like in fullscreen mode with resample either ON or OFF. (Also, the one-time fullscreen resampling is negligibly slow.) This is why I can't figure out why fullscreen mode works differently than window mode, when it should. Have you tried the resample option in window mode yet, to compare?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ohw... you are right about the Resample option in Window mode (when image is centered in window). I guess I try this out a long time ago and forgot about it. You see, when I view my my photo's using IrfanView, I always show them Fullscreen and/or 1:1 (as Irfan recommends in the View»Display options). I want to see the real pixels most of the time when comparing my photo's. I wonder, why would anyone want to view his images -larger than the screen- fitted in window-mode anyway? IrfanView does exactly what I need by default, for many, many years now. It's still number one comparing with all of my other viewers.
                      So you have a point about me ignoring the window mode. And sorry that I was a bit careless answering your question.

Comment

Try not to assume so much!

Along the way, I was very surprised at how certain you were about this thread. I couldn't figure out how you couldn't be experiencing the same behaviors as I was, when I thought you were experimenting with my scenarios. I'm glad that we are finally on the same page about this issue. So have you taken a second look at ALL that we have discussed and come to any of my prior conclusions?

While Irfan recommends 'fit window to image (1:1)', obviously there wouldn't be so many different options if people didn't have different uses for the program. The View>Display options (window mode) menu is divided into three sections, allowing up to three choices at once. So, while (1:1) is recommended, I don't think this includes the other two options of centering and resampling.

I view photos of all sizes, so I want to be able to view them clearly and completely on my screen. Viewing at (1:1) wouldn't allow this, as photos too large would require scrolling (most of the time actual pixels are meaningless to me). The other view options would either make small photos too large, maximize my window at times, or require scrolling, too. However, at some points I do need these other options. I like window mode because I can use it at any size or maximized (which would still be similar to fullscreen for large images needing fitting anyway). I also like fullscreen since it is the largest space for viewing. I view centered so the image is always in a predictable area, where my attention is greatest and I usually view resampled so I get the smoothest image. I like resampling when zooming, since this is when the image needs it the most. Sometimes though, turning resampling off is useful when I want a clearer image or speed.

Considering how I use IrfanView, I want to make sure that fullscreen mode behaves like window mode. IrfanView is definitely a great program, especially for the price (!), but others do seem to offer dynamic resampling algorithms in both modes and other great features.

Comment

So, is it a bug?

Hi Sjef! I'd like to clarify what you meant. Is the Fullscreen "resample" option not working, since it does not work like it does in window mode?

Comment

Zooming

Hi Skippybox,
                            I just got time to read your reply and it's a long story... I see you use IrfanView different than I do. I never try to zoom in on a picture, closer than 1:1 because I don't see the point of viewing my photo's/images bigger than they really are. When zoomed in closer than 1:1 it's not the same picture anymore. The viewer has just calculate more pixels to it. When I'd want to enlarge an image (which I don't), I'd prefer Ctrl»R (resize) and save it. Zooming is not the same as ‘Resample’ in any viewer for that matter. If I were you, I'd set the option [View»Display options (window mode)»Fit only big images to window]. Your images will always be resampled to the (centered) window size of your own choice. Stretching the window in or out, will keep the right resampling mode, because the aspect ratio (X-Y proportion) will keep the same too. I should try to forget about zooming within image viewers because it's a pain in the ass. Only CompuPic Pro is able to zoom with hi speed. Not to mension Xara which zoomes to (hold your breath) 25.601% without any deformation!
                            It's no bug!

Comment

At least test it out

I appreciate your advice. I already use the option [View»Display options (window mode)»Fit only big images to window], since it is best for me. While I do sometimes like to zoom in closer than 1:1, most of the time it is less than 100%, because when images are fitted they might only be e.g. 42%. So, I might want to zoom in to 60% or 75% from that fitted zoom level, but I want the resultant image to be smooth and hence, resampled. Therefore, resampling at these zoom levels would be beneficial. It would be pretty undesirable to Ctrl+R an image just to see it resampled at a infrequent time.

I understand that images zoomed over 100% no longer provide any extra information. Although, smaller images do seem to look better bigger and resampled when enlarged over 100% even if they are poorer in quality. Why else would we have video upconversion options for non-HD sources on home video receivers and DVD players?

Despite the fact that we use IfanView differently, should that prevent you from determining whether there is a problem with it, in an area you don't frequently or ever use? What would be the point of the forum then?

Have you at least tried what I have been describing, and seen a difference between window and fullscreen mode, when it comes to zooming with resample on in both modes? It seems as if you don't believe me. Won't you just try it out for yourself and see!

Comment

Working...
                              X