version setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

version setting

I noticed a weakness in the options to enter OS and IV versions in the profile.
    Due to machine failure I'm now operating another set with W98 in stead of W2K.
    If I would correct this in my profile, all posts of mine would get that change too under the avatar.
    Which is not correct to the content of the posts, because they were done with W2K.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Whenever you discuss issues known to be specific to the given operating system, you should say that in freeform text.

Steve likes upgrading vbulletin all the time, which would be difficult or impossible if he started modifying the code to insert and list additional database columns for every post.

Anyway, this OS field works only if you have just one computer.

Comment

I think that actually the real problem with this feature is that Windows XP Home/Pro SP3 option is missing.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Hi,

thanks! I added the sp3

steve

PS: Forum update was successful

Comment

Are you kidding? The problem is that all those lamers refuse to run Vista SP1. Else the would be a better place for sure.
          Last edited by j7n; 21.06.2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

...modifying the code to insert and list additional database columns for every post.
            I was not asking for that. I'm aware of the difficulties.
            ...issues known to be specific to the given operating system, you should say that in freeform text.
            Was my conclusion too, given the circumstances. But this W98 set is just to maintain net-connection.
            For the work I'll have to assemble a new computer. So what, if that's going to run on e.g. XP ?
            Then for the rest of the time, I'm forced to mention this in the freeform text, if relevant.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

FWIW, I agree with Sam_Zen. Over the life of this forum, many users will change computer configurations. Or location. Or IrfanView version. Updating their profile shouldn't change prior posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                I was not asking for that. I'm aware of the difficulties.
                How else could we store the operating system individually for each post?

Then for the rest of the time, I'm forced to mention this in the freeform text, if relevant.
                Most of the time you wouldn't know if the problem exists in the other systems.

Comment

Hi,

we can use some kind of "mask" for starting a new thread in the support forum.

For example if you click on "new thread" in the box where you can enter a text, the question "what os do you use" will automatically appear.

I can search for some modification for vbulletin.

Would that save your "problem"?

steve

Comment

cwb3106 hits the core of this : 'Updating the profile shouldn't change prior posts'.
                    Steve's workaround, if possible within vbulletin, would be the solution for this.
                    But I agree with some comments that this is not a big issue whatsoever.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

And now we need a new IV version! LOL
                      Its: Belongs to "It"
                      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                      ---------------------
                      Lose: Fail to keep
                      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Yep, I wanted to change to 4.20 too
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Steve, when you get around to fixing this, the text by the drop list should say, "Select your IrfanView version" not "Type your IrfanView version."
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Version 4.20 is now added. Text still reads "Type your IrfanView version."
                            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Steve's suggestion is very good. User's might not have thought to set/update their profile or might not be working with their "home" computer (e.g., helping a friend). Capturing that data when a thread starts would be great! Just be sure to include a "don't know/not applicable" choice. I think that this should be done for all the forums in which the platform is important. My list would be support, bug reports and (maybe) feature requests. I could even go as far as all of the forums in the "program" group.

Of course, the next step is an IrfanView feature request to be able to copy/paste this information from Help -> About ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X