Note to Irfanview Opera Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note to Irfanview Opera Users

Opera has released version 9.50 with a significant change that royally screws some Irfanview users.

Many Irfanview users select images from the Opera cache, copy them to a new directory, and then look at the directory thumbnails with Irfanview to see if there are any they need to review again or possibly keep.

To do this, you must be able to identify the images in the cache to avoid opening Irfanview in a cache directory and having to go though thousands of useless nonimage files. This requires a full function file manager to sort and select on name, date, extension, and size.

This process saves time over individually saving and naming files when you see them on the internet.

Opera has removed the file extensions from the files in the cache. You can't distinguish an image file from a css file in cache. None of the ways around this problem are as quick as selecting files by extension and size and all involve hours rather than minutes.

This change also makes difficult finding video files.

See comments about this change at the my.opera.com desktop browser forum:

"v. 9.5 disk cache (file extensions and fragmentation)'

"Why I Went Back to 9.27 - Opera browser"

Apparently Opera didn't know that anyone used the cache file extensions. Opera users who use the extensions need to tell Opera that they indeed do use them.

Anyone can register and post at the above forum.

Please forward.

Thanks for this topic tblair. There's allways the right mouse key to copy, but searching isn't easy anymore. Back to 9.27 is indeed an option here...

Comment

The best work around I found so far is to open the Opera Cache, inline find /jpg or whatever file type you're interested in, then open it and use Fast Forward (Shift X shortcut) to scroll quickly through the images, using Opera as your image viewer.

See this post for an explanation of why file extensions were turned off in the cache.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.06.2008, 06:10 PM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by tblair View Post
        This change also makes difficult finding video files.
        No problem here. A quick search of opera:cache for "flv" found a video I was viewing earlier.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.06.2008, 06:17 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Files can always be sorted by size to reveal most useful content: videos, high res images, digital audio clips. Most other web content is tiny. There are of course exceptions, like a megabyte HTML, or 250 kB stylesheet. But they are few.

However, I suppose you've learned how to use the cache in its current form very quickly. That is why I often advocate to remain with well known software versions. The given feature might have been improved, yet you can work more efficiently with it in the wrong (worse) form.

Comment

Or you can use TrID File Identifier to sort them out. I sift my cache (K-Meleon) with it when I'm in a hurry. It has not got the hang of it with some things yet, but images are nearly always identified and given the correct extension.

Interesting. I haven't had time to play with the new Opera yet. I only use it for problem sites.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

See this thread on the Customising Opera Forum on a way to enhance the Opera Cache to add sorting by filename, size, and address.

Comment

Working...
              X