User Since v2.35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Since v2.35

Is there a way to disable the print preview feature? I don't want the program to have to process the preview on extremely large images. I cannot find an option in the preferences. Thanks, Hank

I don't think there is, but I'm curious as to why you're noticing a problem here.

With a very large image from the Hubble Space telescope, 3857 x 7804 Pixels, 86.12 MB in memory, I barely notice a delay at Print Preview. The image loads in 1609 milliseconds, and Print Preview is less than that — maybe 1 second and the same if I switch from Portrait to Landscape.

Just how big are these extremely large images?

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I'm dealing with images that average 7184 x 38749 Pixels, or 35.9 x 193.7 inches, and over .5GB at times. I am not complaining, I just wish the print preview could be disabled. I think this may be what causes long delays(7-10 minutes) between print option changes - as if the image has to be re-processed for the preview after every option change. This is on a P4 3.04 with 2GB of memory.

Thanks for helping a forum newbie.

Comment

If you have to wait 7-10 minutes why shouldn't you complain? However, with such exceptionally large images there cannot be many programs that won't cause problems.

Try this workaround:
        • Open a small image
        • Set the print options that you want
        • Print the small image
        • Open the large image and the settings will be as you want.

Unfortunately, the print settings are not saved unless you print the small image. However, if you open the file "i_view32.ini" in the program directory and find the [Print] section, you can see the settings for your selected options there.

You can also print from the command line with the /print option. See "i_options.txt" for more command line options.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          If you have to wait 7-10 minutes why shouldn't you complain? However, with such exceptionally large images there cannot be many programs that won't cause problems.

Try this workaround:
          • Open a small image
          • Set the print options that you want
          • Print the small image
          • Open the large image and the settings will be as you want.

Unfortunately, the print settings are not saved unless you print the small image. However, if you open the file "i_view32.ini" in the program directory and find the [Print] section, you can see the settings for your selected options there.

You can also print from the command line with the /print option. See "i_options.txt" for more command line options.

Thanks Bhikkhu, All of your suggestions are great.

I think the command line will be the most useful. When using the CL, will i_view32.exe still utilize the i_view32.ini?

And your right, all programs I use have the same difficulty with the large images. Photoshop-a 129inch limit, Ulead PhotoImpact-just runs out of memory.

Irfanview is the only one that always works, when I'm patient.

Comment

Originally posted by akahank View Post
            I think the command line will be the most useful. When using the CL, will i_view32.exe still utilize the i_view32.ini?
            I guess so, but I have never used the command line options.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Comment

Hi,

here are some print settings in the ini file:

Code:
              [Print]
              Option=2
              Left=0.00
              Top=0.00
              Inches=0
              ScaleX=1.00
              ScaleY=1.00
              Centered=0
              Head=0
              HeadTxt=
              Foot=0
              FootTxt=
              FontParam=-13|0|0|0|400|0|0|0|0|1|2|1|49|
              Font=Courier
              Printer=Dell Photo Printer 720
              Orient=1
              Size=9
              Src=7
              Color=2
              Duplex=1
              SizeTxt=A4
              Feel free to customize it

steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                Hi,

here are some print settings in the ini file:
                Feel free to customize it

steve
                Thanks Steve,
                Do you know if using Command Line(CL) with i_view32.exe utilizes the i_view32.ini file? I can test it out easy enough but thought a quick answer from an experienced user might push me in the right direction. I'm currently using v3.99.

As you might can tell from the rest of the thread, I scan wide-format engineering rolls in order to reprint them. My use of Irfanview is not commercial, by the way, it's governmental.

Comment

As far as I know, it gets anything from the INI that is not specified differently in a command. I think you will learn what you need best by doing a few trial runs. Read the INI file every time, and make copies of it to preserve settings that work well. You can edit it any time IV is not open.
                  Its: Belongs to "It"
                  It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                  ---------------------
                  Lose: Fail to keep
                  Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                  Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                    As far as I know, it gets anything from the INI that is not specified differently in a command. I think you will learn what you need best by doing a few trial runs. Read the INI file every time, and make copies of it to preserve settings that work well. You can edit it any time IV is not open.
                    Many thanks. I won't be back in my working environment until July 9. I will test it fully then. Again, thanks to all who have lended their expertise.

Comment

Working...
                    X