OGG volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OGG volume

If playing an mp3 file, IV follows the setting of the main system wav volume as the setting of the Volume slider.
    But when loading an OGG file it produces the same set volume, but the Volume slider is set to 100 %.
    Last edited by stefan; 07.02.2009, 04:15 PM.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Hi Sam,
    I don't think it's a Irfan-bug. Within my XP-system an Ogg file plays as it should: producing the normal volume slider progress.
    Last edited by Sjef; 06.07.2007, 08:59 AM. Reason: OGG volume

Comment

On my WinXP system Vorbis plays back independently of Windows system mixer. Volume control is done either by fmod or directSound. I wouldn't call it a bug, though.

Comment

OK, but Sam want to see the control in IrfanView and that's what I ment.

Comment

Indeed. But if this behaves normally in XP, I wouldn't call it an IV bug anymore, but a problem with my W2K.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It depends on what you see as normal. It is as you described on WinXP also, I just happen to like it. Perhaps the volume control should me made the same in both Vorbis and Mp3 players?

What really pisses me off if applications touch and reset the Windows mixer as they please. Some set it to 100% volume before playback causing mayhem if it was the middle of the night, or damaged speakers perhaps. Luckily professional sound cards don't have Windows mixer anymore.

Comment

Most of the time I use the surround mixer which came along with the Live! card. It has a connection with the system mixer, and
              it should have. So changing a slider or muting a channel should be followed in the other mixer as well, and vice versa.

But the output slider of an application is another thing. Of course one can change it, but when the app is started, it should follow the actual volume setting of the system mixer.
              Such rule-breaking pisses me off too. A nasty example is playing a net-based WAV file with the browser. Then the system volume slider is set to 50 %.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
              X