This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanView and PDF Creator, the BIG Adventure

Beware saving anything without taking heed of previously set options! (Especially as TIF with PDF Creator!)

I was doing some experiments, and forgot to change the color depth options for TIF saving with PDF Creator. I wanted 2-bit color and got Look what happened to a little text file!

The screen half froze for a long time. I was about to give up and terminate the process, when I saw an IrfanView window appear. I waited . . . and there it was, the first page of the biggest dang TIF you ever could want.

File Name____Size (in bytes)
    Words.txt____168,23
    Words.tif_____654,138,978

I had a couple of MB of free space left in that drive partition.

All I can say is, hooray for my computer (1Ghz processor and 512 MB RAM!) -- and hooray for IrfanView. It was the hairiest non-crash I ever saw.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

A picture is not always worth a thousands words!
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Or bytes!!! LOL

I hope that's the last time I ever (accidentally) create an image that is bigger than some operating systems' installation files.
      ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

It's creepy that IrfanView opens text files in the first place. What's the point of rendering a text file as a graphic? Besides nor can the font be chosen, nor word wrap turned on.

Comment

Yeah, but some people have to open everything . . . anyway, I opened the text file with AkelPad. PDF Creator sent TIF-Zilla the Monster Image to IrfanView after converting it.

I am still amazed at the size of that file. Sure, it was a 130,000+-word novel, but -- sheesh! LOL
          ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Hi matera,

Thanks to your post, I discovered that feature of PDF Creator (saving in TIFF and other formats besides PDF) . So I tried to save a text file as TIFF but I got a very reasonable file size:
            - 6 MB for 16M colors @ 150 dpi,
            - 30 kB for 2 bpp (PackBits) @ 150 dpi.
            I wonder what could go wrong with your experiment.

Laurent
            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

It was the color -- I had done a single image in hi-color, and then forgot that I had left the prefs that way. So . . . all those hundreds of pages of text, although merely black and white in their little souls, got the full treatment and the almighty amount of information for each pixel made the file huuuuuuuge. That is what makes it so funneeeeee
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...
              X