Installation problems

Summary

1. The option to
    "Create IrfanView shortcut in Start Menu Programs | For all users"
    doesn't work and has the same effect as
    "Create IrfanView shortcut in Start Menu Programs | For current user only"

2. The option
    "Set INI file folder: | User's Application data folder"
    works only for the Administrator (or the user who installed the program) and leads to some kind of "unpredictable results" for other users.
    The option
    "Set INI file folder: | IrfanView folder"
    works as before and needs the same workarounds as before to have one's settings preserved.

Details

Using WinXP Pro SP2

Installed IrfanView 4.20 as Administrator with the following options:
    - Create IrfanView shortcut in Start Menu Programs
    - For all users
    - nothing from Google
    - Set INI file folder: User's Application data folder

Results:
    - The program group for IrfanView is created in the wrong folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs
    instead of
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    So, when I logged as "Laurent" with a limited account, there was no IrfanView group in the start menu.
    - Working as Administrator, the file i_view32.ini is correctly written into
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\IrfanView
    - When I logged as "Laurent", my settings weren't preserved. I got an error message saying
    "Cannot save the settings; check if i_view32.ini is writable."
    There is no file i_view32.ini in the user's folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\Laurent\Application Data\IrfanView
    (this folder already existed as I previously used IrfanView to set a wallpaper).

Logged as "Administrator" and gave full control on the file
    C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.ini
    to the goup "Users" (user "Laurent" is member of the group "Users")

Results:
    - no more error message, but no one setting is preserved.

Uninstalled and reinstalled IrfanView with these options:
    - Create IrfanView shortcut in Start Menu Programs
    - For current user only
    - nothing from Google
    - Set INI file folder: IrfanView folder

Results:
    - The IrfanView Program Group is again created into
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs
    So, what matters the creation of the sortcut, choosing "For all users" or "For current user only" makes no difference.
    - Working as Administrator settings are preserved into the file
    C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.ini

I then gave Users full control over i_view32.ini and logged back as "Laurent"

- My settings as normal (limited) user are now preserved.

Conclusions

See the summary above

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
    Installation problems

2. The option
    works only for the Administrator (or the user who installed the program) and leads to some kind of "unpredictable results" for other users.
    The option
    works as before and needs the same workarounds as before to have one's settings preserved.
    My XP user also does not have admin rights, after installing as Administrator I Encountered the same problem.

My workaround was to install using a MakeMeAdmin script:
    MakeMeAdmin -- temporary admin for your Limited User account

Comment

Installing version 4.20

I detest the need of Admin and/or All Users in the Windows (XP & Vista) system. One can't disconnect this behaviour. I installed IrfanView 4.20 and experienced troubles with the extensions-dialog. Even deleting the INI file didn't work. The extensions keep the same even after clicking Clear all. My way of solving this problem was to Recover my system (only my bootdrive). IrfanView was installed on a different partition. Now I have IrfanView (as usual) in ‘Portable’ format. No IrfanView in the Windows Software-list. Never have to (re)install IrfanView. No problems with anything at all.

Comment

I think 'detest' is the right expression. I can understand the option to have different user rights in an office environment, or with children.
        But at least, if one is the only user of a system, M$ should have provided the opportunity to disable this sh*t, because then it's not relevant.
        And so only can cause all kinds of trouble.
        This started indeed seriously from XP and on, and I could avoid it for a long time by using W2K.
        But my machine broke down, and I had to continue with another one, having XP Home.

Despite the fact that I have only have one partition, I didn't have any rights problems so far (knock3) with IV.
        Because I had the habit of installing progs somewhere else than 'Program Files', if it doesn't need a setup, or has its own ini-file.
        So IV has its own subdir in my 'graphtools' directory.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
          Installation problems
          1. The option to
          "Create IrfanView shortcut in Start Menu Programs | For all users"
          doesn't work and has the same effect as
          "Create IrfanView shortcut in Start Menu Programs | For current user only"

2. The option
          The option
          Laurent
          What Laurent has said applies equally to Vista. Having selected
          "Set INI file folder: | User's Application data folder" in the installer my master INI file within C:\Program files\Irfanview was changed to read
          [Others]
          INI_FOLDER=C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView \

where Mike (me) was the user who installed it. IMHO that is the wrong format. Nobody else can access that folder unless I change all the permissions. Previously my main INI file had read
          [Others]
          INI_FOLDER=%Appdata%\IrfanView

That worked fine. My personal INI file was automatically created in C:\Users\Mike\... and my wife's in C:\Users\Ann\... We could both access our own files with no problem.
          It is not rocket science to use the system variable %Appdata% to represent the Current users Application data folder. I just copied what other programs did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            What Laurent has said applies equally to Vista. Having selected
            "Set INI file folder: | User's Application data folder" in the installer my master INI file within C:\Program files\Irfanview was changed to read
            [Others]
            INI_FOLDER=C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView \

where Mike (me) was the user who installed it. IMHO that is the wrong format. Nobody else can access that folder unless I change all the permissions. Previously my main INI file had read
            [Others]
            INI_FOLDER=%Appdata%\IrfanView

That worked fine. My personal INI file was automatically created in C:\Users\Mike\... and my wife's in C:\Users\Ann\... We could both access our own files with no problem.
            It is not rocket science to use the system variable %Appdata% to represent the Current users Application data folder. I just copied what other programs did.
            Yeah, that seems to be the problem. Instead of using the APPDATA environment variable, the installer hard-codes the path to the installation user's APPDATA folder. Only that user and administrators can read or write to that folder, so it completely defeats the point of the "User's Application data folder" setting in the installer...

Comment

It occurs to me now that perhaps the intention was to use the APPDATA environment variable in the INI file and it is the Installer that substitutes the name of the installer's application data folder.
              For Vista users there is the added complication of compatibility files though. If they ran previous versions of Irfanview from C:\Program files then Vista will have created an ini file in the Virtual store section of their user folder. That will still be present and Vista will use it instead of the new ini file now installed in Program files. So the redirection to the intended (or unintended) area of their user folder will not happen.
              I do not know what happens in XP but there have been postings from users in trouble there too.

Comment

Anyone tried this?

sudo for Windows XP UAC User Account Control Least Privilege LUA

I'm going to see if it helps with the PDF problems.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
                X