v4.20 vista installation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v4.20 vista installation problem

Download and instillation seemed to go fine with no error indication. At completion, the program was launched and immediately errored with message indicating that "IrfanView has stopped working". I found and followed the 4.20 installation bugs (even though it appeared to be for XP) and that didn't change anything...

Any help would be appreciated..

Chuck

Where did you tell it to put the initialization file (i_view32.ini)? You now have a choice during installation to put it in either C:\Users\[your_user_name]\Appdata\Roaming\Irfanview, or put it with the executable file (probably C:\Program files\Irfanview if you chose the default location). The first is the better choice for Vista. It should work with the second choice too, Vista is supposed to create a virtual folder for it, but some people found problems with that setup using earlier IV versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      Where did you tell it to put the initialization file (i_view32.ini)? You now have a choice during installation to put it in either C:\Users\[your_user_name]\Appdata\Roaming\Irfanview, or put it with the executable file (probably C:\Program files\Irfanview if you chose the default location). The first is the better choice for Vista. It should work with the second choice too, Vista is supposed to create a virtual folder for it, but some people found problems with that setup using earlier IV versions.
      I put it in the program file, but I have noticed that it is a very small file from what I expected. I have deleted my old version that was working fine before installing this version. This is my .INI file...

[Language]
      DLL=ENGLISH
      Lang=English
      [Toolbar]
      Skin=Grosberg_24.png
      Size=24

Thanks for the help...

Chuck

Comment

Yes, but that is not the INI file you are actually using. If you go to it in Windows Explorer a label "Compatibility files" should appear on the toolbar. Click on that and it will take you to the INI file that Vista has created to keep the program working.
        The problem is that in Vista 'Program files' is a protected folder and you cannot write to a file there unless you are running as administrator. As soon as you try to write there Vista creates a dummy file in your user area (C:/Users/[your user name]/Appdata/local/VirtualStore/Irfanview) and uses that instead. As I said it should work OK, but some people have had trouble.
        The other installation option puts a very short INI file in with the EXE that just says

[Others]
        INI_FOLDER=C:/Users/[your user name]/Appdata/Roaming/IrfanView

It redirects the INI file to that folder, where you should have no problem in writing to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          Yes, but that is not the INI file you are actually using. If you go to it in Windows Explorer a label "Compatibility files" should appear on the toolbar. Click on that and it will take you to the INI file that Vista has created to keep the program working.
          The problem is that in Vista 'Program files' is a protected folder and you cannot write to a file there unless you are running as administrator. As soon as you try to write there Vista creates a dummy file in your user area (C:/Users/[your user name]/Appdata/local/VirtualStore/Irfanview) and uses that instead. As I said it should work OK, but some people have had trouble.
          The other installation option puts a very short INI file in with the EXE that just says

[Others]
          INI_FOLDER=C:/Users/[your user name]/Appdata/Roaming/IrfanView

It redirects the INI file to that folder, where you should have no problem in writing to it.
          In that location I have only a wallpaper BMP file. Today I used the uninstall to completely remove Irfanview and rebooted, cleaned registry, installed it again putting the ini in the program file and no google bars and i still have the same thing. I have had this working with vista in the past with no problem at all. I guess right now I've done what I know how to do and need step by step directions.

any other ideas? thanks for what you've been able to do for me... What about copying a good .INI file into the program directory? Anyone got one?

Chuck

Comment

OK Chuck.
            What I would do next is to copy the whole Irfanview folder from Program files to a new location under either the Users/[your user name] or Users/Public folder trees. Open the copied folder and double click on i_view32.exe.
            If that copy works OK then you know there is a security access problem. I would use the Irfanview search (File>Search files) to look for all instances of i_view32.ini on your hard drive. There may be more than you expect. Do not use Vista for the search. That will probably not find the important ones.
            Click on Show all in Viewer and see what each INI contains. Use Information to see what folder they are in. If there is one you want to save then move it temporarily to somewhere safe and delete all other copies. Make especially sure that you do not leave any in a VirtualStore folder.
            If Irfanview will not work in the User or Public folder areas then I would suspect a corrupted download of the installation file. After that I start to run out of ideas.
            Mij

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did an install directing the program to a temp storage area on my "C" drive. The install went very quickly and was in the correct spot. I still get a message immediately when loading that the program has stopped working. I have the set-up programs for 4.0, 4.10 and now 4.2. All are now failing in the same way. I have uninstalled each with the uninstaller and done a complete shutdown and reboot after each. Lately I have been using System Mechanic to check registry problems after rebooting. Nothing now seems to be working. During this time I have installed other software so something is going right. I would like to get this resolved since I have been a long term user and have always been very satisfied with the product. I have taken this as far as my technical abilities have allowed. Sorry but I'm going to need easy to follow instructions to get this working again....

Thanks to everyone for the help
              Chuck
              cchur@isd.net

Comment

It begins to sound like a system problem Chuck_Chur, but I am still not 100% certain that you have done all that I intended. Unfortunately just uninstalling and reinstalling IfanView does not remove those troublesome Virtual Store files that Vista creates. Let's make it as basic as we can. Do not use the IV install program this time. Leave what you have installed and just follow these instructions.
                1. Right click on the desktop, select New>Folder and name the folder "Test".
                2. Double click to open the empty folder "Test". Drag the window out of the way to the bottom right of screen.
                3. Double click in turn Computer > C: drive > Program Files > Irfanview and find file i_view32.exe
                4. Right click and drag file i_view32.exe to the "Test" folder window. Drop it there and from the pop-up menu select Copy here.
                5. You should now have a copy of i_view32.exe in "Test" and nothing else. Double click on the file.
                6. Does an IrfanView window now open, or do you still have the error?
                7. If IV opens select Options>Properties. Do not change anything in the properties window, just click OK to close it.
                8. Does the file i_view32.ini now appear in the folder "Test" ?
                9. If everything is still working you can now try opening an image.

If Irfanview still does not work in this very basic configuration then I would suspect a corrupted system file. You could try System File Checker http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2231/...m_file_checker.
                Do not worry about the Registry, IrfanView does not use it.

Good luck, Mij

Comment

Okay, I'm hijacking this one.
                  Basically, my setup is similar to Chuck's, except that I installed to some other drive, which requires no permission.

I've tried your suggestion on the previous post. Yes, it runs. After that, I change the toolbar skin to either Samuel or Grosberg. Then it crashes with the message as written in TFM.

No problems in viewing images though. Only toolbar skin causes the problem, and can be reverted by deleting the whole [Toolbar] key in the INI file.

Comment

Hi Edomikari
                    Afraid I cannot reproduce your problem. Samuel_16 is my normal toolbar but I can change to any of the others with no trouble.
                    For information this is the relevant section of my INI file

[ToolBar]
                    Active=1
                    Skin=Samuel_16.png
                    Size=16
                    Flag=1048575

My i_view32.exe file is 459kB and dated 18/07/2008. The Toolbar folder has the same date. As well as my normal setup with the EXE in C:\Program files and the INI in my user Appdata, I have a minimal installation of just i_view32.exe, i_view32.ini and the toolbars in a folder of the Public directory. That works fine as well.

Comment

I registered just to reply to your post Chuck.

1. delete toolbars folder
                      2. run irfanview. this will make irfanview to use default toolbar.
                      3. (optional) if you want, set irfanview to use default toolbar and restore toolbars folder.

when irfanview did not working on my vista sp1, I was so shocked and considered to downgrade to windows xp seriously. cannot live without irfanview....hahaha

Comment

Could it be spaces in the user name?

I figured out what is wrong here, at least in my case which is exactly as the first post.

My user name is: "Brian Scott Oplinger" which makes the default location for the ini file:
                        INI_Folder=C:\Users\Brian Scott Oplinger\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\

Seems irfanview doesn't like spaces in the path.

I edited the i_view32.ini file (that is in the Program Files/IrfanView folder, using appropriate permissions) to look in Public and added the appropriately named folders to match (AppData and Roaming and IrfanView), ie:
                        INI_Folder=C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming\IrfanVi ew\ [when I look at this, it has a space in IrfanView, but it shouldn't be there]

And everything works.

The easiest way without using any special tools is to open the ini file with notepad, save it to the desktop, delete the original (after confirming a Visa permissions dialog) and then copy the edited file from the desktop (again with Visa permissions dialog) and manually create files in Public. I doubt there is any need to create more than a simple IrfanView folder. I just used the entire sequence just to see if was related to the user name as a test.

So now the developer knows what to do to fix things

In the meantime, the user "Public" has the ini file and things work, which is all I really wanted anyway
                        Last edited by bsoplinger; 06.11.2008, 10:27 PM. Reason: Odd space

Comment

Originally posted by bsoplinger View Post
                          I figured out what is wrong here, at least in my case which is exactly as the first post.
                          My user name is: "Brian Scott Oplinger" which makes the default location for the ini file:
                          INI_Folder=C:\Users\Brian Scott Oplinger\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\
                          I have a space in my user name and have no trouble. Just replace INI_Folder=C:\Users\Brian Scott Oplinger\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\
                          with INI_Folder=%AppData%\IrfanView\ and let Windows locate your Appdata folder for you.

Comment

I tried just what you suggest, after moving the AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\ subtree to the trash. Edited the .ini and changed to use %AppData% and no-go, same error, program quits before it starts

But at least my solution did do the trick, perhaps it'll help others since the %AppData% solution doesn't work in my case at least.

Comment

I'm so glad I found this thread as I've been having this exact problem.....

After looking through the previous posts, I found two ways to fix the problem.

1. Simply delete the .ini file in Program Folders\Irfanview

or

2. The original .ini file contained just 2 lines:
                              [Others]
                              INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView

By editing the 2nd line to
                              INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\Roaming\IrfanView

everything now works fine.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X