left button for enlarge image as magnifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested left button for enlarge image as magnifier

When in full screen mode, sometimes I want to see some details of the image freely, just like using magnifier to see the image.

Could Irfanview add an option to use left button to enlarge an image?

Thanks a lot!

Just selecting an area, inside a image being viewed, and then left-clicking inside that selection box, does not work for you?
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

This is so in normal mode, but Goldentime mentioned full screen mode, which is quite different.
      Then there's no selection of an area possible. A left click goes to the previous, the right to the next picture in the dir.
      So no mouse button as an option.

But in full screen mode one can zoom in with the '+' key. The percentage of magnifying can be set in : Options/Properties/Viewing.
      Then one can scroll by using the arrow keys, plus home, end, pageup and pagedown.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Quite right, I had missed the point where Goldentime did say full screen mode; sorry.

OK, how about this, in full screen mode I see that the "+" does still enlarge the view, and "-" does make the view smaller.

Now, IF the view is larger than full screen (where the image is beyond the borders of the full screen) then the arrow keys (up, down, left, and right) will reposition the image. Thus, you can "++++etc." up to some expanded view, and then use the arrow keys to re-center the viewing area.

Note: You can also hold the Ctrl key down and rotate the mouse wheel (if you have one) to expand or reduce the view. But with my computer, it was not as easy to control the amount of expand.
        I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
        Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Thanks, ChuckE, Sam_Zen

But using '+' key is not so convenient I think. It can't quickly get the details on the screen when the details are on the right or low part of the image.

And I just want to see some details of the image, then back to the original one to see the full image. So I think if IV can add an option for using left button as a switch between normal full screen mode and magifier view, it will be convenient.

In full screen mode, when left button is pressed, the whole image is enlarged to a certain ratio(this can be an option, or can be adjusted by the wheel when left button is pressed). The part where the mouse pointer stays is diaplayed in the center of the screen or still in its original place(this can be an option) after being enlarged. As the mouse moves, the display changes according to the mouse position. When left button is released, the image is back to normal screen mode.

I think this can be very convenient for those who like using both keyborad and mouse. And I hope you can understand my poor English.

Best regards.
          Last edited by Goldentime; 05.07.2007, 04:28 AM.

Comment

like MaxView

Hi essentially what he is saying is to add a feature like FastStone MaxView

Install it and simply left click anywhere on the picture and move your mouse. You will see that it essentially allows a free panning magnified section of the picture. When you release the left mouse button the picture returns to standard zoom (whatever you set that at).

Please make this feature as this is one of the main features that makes MaxView better than IrFranView

Comment

No - not like Maxview

I disagree with CajunAzn. The magnifier in Maxview is a nice little gimmick, but I do not find it as useful as selecting an area and clicking to zoom in as I can when working in an IrfanView window. I do wish that feature was available in fullscreen too.
              Yes, I accept that the default operation of right and left mouse clicks in fullscreen/slideshow view should be to go to next or previous images. In fullscreen I would be quite happy to press Shift in conjunction with mouse operations to reproduce the windowed view features.

There does seem to be a reluctance in IrfanView to use Shift and Control keys in conjunction with mouse and arrow key operations. I know it means more to remember but it is better than having to change settings in the Options to select what they do.
              Last edited by Mij; 26.10.2008, 10:10 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

... and while we are about it, can the "select+click inside" feature please be made optional? Both in current window mode and in future full screen mode.

I have been doing a task that involves a lot of resizing selections and much too often I have inadvertently clicked inside a selection, instead of its border.

Thanks,
                jazzman

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

It is annoying. That wouldn't be a bad option.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                    It is annoying. That wouldn't be a bad option.
                    It is annoying for most of us, but you don't need yet another option.
                    The problem really is the incorrect choice of buttons. All Selection box drawing, resizing and moving should use the left mouse button. So you drag the box using the left mouse button not the right hand one. A mistake would then be far less frustrating.
                    Clicking within the selection with the right mouse button would perform the zoom, or if you have opted for context sensitive menus with the right mouse button, then Zoom to Fit would be one of the choices on that menu (along with crop, cut, copy, paste, insert text, custom selection box, etc.)

Comment

Easy enough. Context menus don't appear in selection boxes, though.

Comment

Easy enough. Context menus don't appear in selection boxes, though.
                        Yes, I know. You cannot have a Context menu for a selection box at present because there would then be no way of moving the box around. By swapping the buttons for Move and Zoom as I suggested you can have a Context menu if you choose and still keep the Zoom function as well (selected from the Context menu instead).

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                          Yes, I know. You cannot have a Context menu for a selection box at present because there would then be no way of moving the box around. By swapping the buttons for Move and Zoom as I suggested you can have a Context menu if you choose and still keep the Zoom function as well (selected from the Context menu instead).
                          If that were true, why couldn't Move already be on the menu, like you put Zoom on it? Obviously it's not practical, but why?

You don't need to have a Context menu in a selection box. Currently, the program recognizes a selection box is present, and gives you options for it even though you click outside the box. Now that is thinking outside the box. (LOL)

Comment

If that were true, why couldn't Move already be on the menu, like you put Zoom on it? Obviously it's not practical, but why?
                            The difference is that clicking Zoom performs the operation and closes the menu. Clicking Move would have to assign a mouse button to let you do the moving, and meanwhile lose the operation previously assigned to that button. In effect it is another Option switch. You also need to work out how you switch the option off again.
                            You don't need to have a Context menu in a selection box. Currently, the program recognizes a selection box is present, and gives you options for it even though you click outside the box. Now that is thinking outside the box. (LOL)
                            The optional right click menu is not a context sensitive menu at all. It works like the main menu graying out entries that are not appropriate to the context. Context sensitive menus only show what is relevant so have room for many more items.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                              The difference is that clicking Zoom performs the operation and closes the menu. Clicking Move would have to assign a mouse button to let you do the moving, and meanwhile lose the operation previously assigned to that button. In effect it is another Option switch. You also need to work out how you switch the option off again.
                              That is true, but you can't move and size at the same time anyway. It would be similar to the Move and Size window commands (ALT+space). The left button would allow you to move the box until you click again to stop. An extra click here and there, but it is workable. It also would provide a useful way to nudge the box using the keyboard. I wish we could have at least the nudge and your method.

The optional right click menu is not a context sensitive menu at all. It works like the main menu graying out entries that are not appropriate to the context. Context sensitive menus only show what is relevant so have room for many more items.
                              It may not be a context menu by definition, but that is what Irfan calls it. The majority of context menus that I see aren't static like IrfanView, but most do dim entries. I assume you want to introduce a new context menu for the selection box, but would that mean the demise of the other context menu or the way it works?

I'm still looking forward to MijView. I am serious. Do you think you can come up with it? Are you good at programming?

Comment

Working...
                              X