X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIOT plugin for Irfan View

You can download the latest RIOT IrfanView plugin from here:

or you can find it in the plugin collection.

Currently this is the only RIOT.dll file compatible with IV.
    RIOT developer
    visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Hi Lucian,

I moved your post to a new thread because RIOT has now become a plug-in

Fore those interested in the stand-alone version, here is the link to the relevant post.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Great to have this plug-in embedded in IView 4.20 now.

A first dev. question I have here is :
      If for example changing the picture to another resolution or restricting the filesize, the only option
      to keep the result is by a 'save as'. There seems no option to transfer the result to the main IView dialog, and go on.
      In most effects-dialogs it's the option 'apply to image'.
      Suppose you've done the correct filesize reduction, but decide to do an extra 'sharpen' on the result of the plug-in.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

When it was planned this plugin was intented as final processing step. The plugin does not modify the DIB used by IrfanView. Instead it creates a new DIB copy. I think this plugin should remain an output tool and should not alter the DIB from IV.

NOTE : I shall refer to the internal image data stored by IV and RIOT as DIB (uncompressed device-independent bitmap stored in memory)
        Last edited by luciansabo; 22.07.2008, 12:36 PM.
        RIOT developer

Comment

Known issues:
          -When setting JPEG filesize the only supported options for saving are progressive, grayscale, disable color subsampling. The other options are not used (quality slider has no effect, metadata is automatically removed). This only applies when saving within IrfanView save dialog. When using RIOT main window itself you can choose to keep XMP, ICC and comments. The full version of the plugin will let you choose to keep or drop IPTC also.

Maybe in the future the metadata options will be supported. I think Irfan should have disabled these options when using RIOT as output to not confuse users.
          The full version will have extended functionality, but it will be still available free of charge.
          The full version will be released soon.
          Last edited by luciansabo; 22.07.2008, 01:17 PM.
          RIOT developer

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            There seems no option to transfer the result to the main IView dialog, and go on. Suppose you've done the correct filesize reduction, but decide to do an extra 'sharpen' on the result of the plug-in.
            A processed (sharpened) image will require a different (higher) number of bits than the source. It would essentially be a different picture that has to be RIOTed to a given number of bytes again.

Comment

jpeg smoothening

Once jpeg smoothening is included, Irfanview will be perfect for me. Thank you all.

Comment

2 Lucian and j7n
                You've convinced me. I withdraw my comment about the transfer option.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I have released the anticipated full version.
                  Read more here:

The full version contains extended functionality over the one present in IrfanView and was created for those that need more functions. In the future the full version will grow. To install follow the steps in the text file "IrfanView install.txt"

JPEG smoothening will be added in RIOT in a future release.
                  RIOT developer

Comment

If I choose to resample the image in the left pane the file size is reported as -1 bytes (0,,0 KiB) and in the title bar the original file name disappears (see attachments); is this right? In my opinion this should be replaced with something like "unknown file size" or with the file size of the initial image.
                    Moreover on my machine if I press "Open..." or "Save as..." nothing happens.
                    Attached Files
                    IrfanPaint developer
                    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
                    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Ow. At least I can save. It would be nice if it displayed the original size.

But it is quite a wonder already, taking out so much guesswork and fiddling.
                      Its: Belongs to "It"
                      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                      ---------------------
                      Lose: Fail to keep
                      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

don't know what's with me, but, I just don't seem to figure out how to get into this RIOT! Can someone tell me how to get that menu up?

Comment

Save for web ... (Plugin) will bring up the RIOT dialogue.

Let me know if you can figure out how to save a file — I can't. The Save As.. button does nothing, and neither does the menu option or the shortcut key.
                          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.07.2008, 07:47 AM.
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ah! ok! Thanks Bhikkhu Guess I would never have figured out that ... specially since I don't ever save anything "for the web"!!

Comment

>If I choose to resample the image in the left pane the file size is reported as -1 bytes
                              Indeed it's a bug. I don't know why I did not seen it until now
                              This problem affects Copy from Clipboard also.
                              I shall fix this ASAP.

The other question about Save and Open... I did not received any reports that something is wrong.

>But it is quite a wonder already, taking out so much guesswork and fiddling.
                              Do you find the program hard to use? I don't understand why.
                              Last edited by luciansabo; 24.07.2008, 07:43 AM.
                              RIOT developer

Comment

Working...
                              X