4.20 - EXE Slideshow crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.20 - EXE Slideshow crashes

First time post ... so if more info needed, please let me know.

XP Pro, SP2, all patches except SP3.

Created an EXE slideshow with 4.20 release (no errors or warnings).

Ran the EXE slideshow, and it crashed.

Exception: 0xc0000005
    Flags: 0
    Record: 0
    Address: 407129

Repeatable every time.

Anyone else having this problem?

Can't confirm this, testing it with five BMP bitmaps.
    Is this a slideshow with sound too ?
    Maybe it's a matter of where you place the exe-file. XP and Vista can be quite irritating about user rights and the proper paths.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sam:

The EXE slideshow I am creating does not have sound.

I've tried placing it in several different folders .... I always get the same crash.

I installed Irfanview 4.2 on my other PC (runs XP home), and the EXE slide show runs with no problem.

So, something on my PC is causing (or influencing) the crash.

The 0xC0000005 exception is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". The address where the exception occurs is always 407129. The instruction at that address (within the created slideshow EXE) is making an illegal memory reference.

What will make this problem difficult to solve is that on my other PC, the same instruction does not result in an illegal memory address.

In both cases (PC that results in crash, and PC that does not), I am running the EXE slideshow under an administrator account, so the EXE has full rights.

If you have any other ideas/thoughts as to the cause, please let me know.

Comment

I think I've discovered the cause of my EXE slideshow crashes.

I am running an anti-virus product called Threatfire (www.threatfire.com). It detects any process with a suspicious behavior and gives the user a choice of allowing the process to continue or killing the process.

When IrfanView creates the slideshow, ThreatFire pops up a dialog box stating that I_VIEW32.EXE has a suspicious behavior: it is trying to modify another program (this probably happens when Irfanview is modifying slideshow.exe to create my slideshow). I respond to ThreatFire and tell it to allow the process to continue, and the slideshow gets created. However, when I run the slideshow, it crashes.

If I disable ThreatFire, and create a slideshow with IrfanView, the generated slideshow runs fine with no crash.

I've reported the problem to ThreatFire, and also to Irfan. As a workaround, I will just disable ThreatFire whenever I create a slideshow. But I am hoping that either IrfanView or ThreatFire can be patched to permanently fix this problem.

I just wanted to describe the details here in case anyone else has a similar problem (both IrfanView and ThreatFire are popular applications, and I assume there are others, besides myself, who are running both).

Comment

Well, this is the explanation indeed.
          Maybe you can fine-tune Threatfire just to scan incoming inet-downloads, instead of all local activities.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sam,

ThreatFire does allow the user to create custom rules.

However, the user cannot disable any of ThreatFire's "built-in" rules.

So, whenever IrfanView (i_view32.exe) attempts to modify slideshow.exe (in order to create a slideshow), this triggers ThreatFire's built-in rule (that rule detects when a process attempts to modify an EXE). I cannot disable or change that built-in rule.

When the rule is triggered, ThreatFire pops-up a dialog box (similar to all anti-virus programs) and gives me the opportunity to "allow" or "kill" the offending process (i_view32.exe in this instance). Even though I tell ThreatFire to "allow" the process to continue, ThreatFire must do something to the generated EXE slideshow to cause a memory exception (0xc000005) when the slideshow is subsequently run (if I suspend ThreatFire, the generated EXE slideshow runs with no problems .... so it certainly appears that ThreatFire is doing something to the generated EXE slideshow).

I have an open ticket with ThreatFire .... they are looking into the problem. I have sent them EXE slide shows created with ThreatFire enabled, and with ThreatFire suspended (these EXE slideshows are of different length, again pointing to the possibility that ThreatFire does something to the generated EXE slideshow).

While waiting for ThreatFire to fix this problem, I just suspend ThreatFire prior to creating a slide show. However, this is only a work-around .... I am disturbed that ThreatFire appears to do something to the generated EXE slideshow to cause the memory exception. I wonder what else it is doing? But to be fair, this is the only problem I've had with ThreatFire (been using it for several months).

I've searched this forum for the word ThreatFire ... and have not found anyone else having a similar problem. So (again, to be fair) the issue could be with something on my PC.

I'll post here if/when I get a response from the ThreatFire folks.

Comment

I heard back from PCtools (maker of ThreatFire).

They were able to reproduce the problem, and have acknowledged that it's their bug.

They will fix the probem in their next release.

Comment

Nice to know.
                Firewall rules always is a matter of the specific permitting of things, not of blocking things.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                X