JPEG 2000 format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPEG 2000 format

I tested the JPEG 2000 (JP2) format support in IrfanView 4 and was very surprised that it still demands payment or something and displays a nag box, even when saving a small picture. The loading of the tested 640*480 file was extremely slow both at moderate jpeg-level quality (141 ms) and lossless (266 ms), even compared to PNG (31 ms). The speed penalty is definitely noticeable with both several megapixel photo and any print job.

The storage space is so cheap now that more and more people are storing lossless audio and graphics, and keep original compressed MPEG-2 video without transforming (I intentionally did not use the term "lossless" here). Do you think a paid or patent-encumbered format has any chance of being accepted today? Even Microsoft renamed their wavelet format to HD so that it would seem more appealing during the today's HD-video craze.

Yep, I was testing this format for the same reason, my preference for lossless compression. And it has a MIME type.
    Check this topic in the Request dept :

So, in the audio field I'm promoting the use of FLAC.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I packed a (simple) LP cover scanned at 600 dpi. IrfanView loaded it Ok, so the limit is only for writing. However the file took 32 seconds to load, compared to 5 seconds for PNG. File size was 41 vs 45 megs in JPEG 2000's favor, but not enough to justify the disadvantages.

I think Irfan can truly claim only reading capabilities. I am not really complaining. It is good to have a reader for Deja Vu, Lura Document, Wavelet, JPEG 2000, whatever files. And as far as I see it does not depend on external components.

Yeah, FLAC is the best lossless audio compression. The slower ones are better suited as "multimedia" methods for general archivers. The new TAK is just Yet Another Lossless Compressor. Good thing I can convert between them as I please.

Comment

I checked the Wiki about JPEG 2000, and it's clearly stated, that the actions with it are quite slow.

I think Irfan can truly claim only reading capabilities.
        I'm not complaining either, but this is not only a case of reading. IV also has the capability of conversion, so saving is also at stake.
        Indeed I'm using FLAC for archiving my compositions.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
        X