Canon RAW and plugins questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon RAW and plugins questions

I'm a bit confused. I am new to using IV and just installed 4.2, along with the plugins in order to view my Canon raw files. The instructions say the plugin requires the additional Canon dlls, but I find that I am able to open and view my files without installing these dlls. I did notice that if I set the plugin properties to try an use the Canon dlls, unchecking both the preview and half size options, it errors.

So, what do the Canon dlls actually provide?

Thanks,
    Larry

Over 30 views and not a single response.

So much for the helpful forums expectation.

Comment

Maybe no one uses a Canon camera? I don't use any camera.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yep, I use a another, Pentax camera, so can't be of any help either.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hello,

which resolution has your pictures? Does it match to the dimension which your camera should provide?

What kind of camera do you have? You just need the canon dll's for the canon raw format, if you take your pictures in jpeg, you don't need the canon dll's.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

I am using a Canon 30D.

I understand no dlls are needed for jpeg viewing. My question is in regards to RAW handling. I've installed the plugin and am able to view the images from RAW files. However, I did not install any other Canon dlls. The directions indicate the other dlls are needed in addition to the plugin...

CRW - (version 4.10): allows IrfanView to read Canon CRW/CR2 files (high resolution image version)
            Note: this PlugIn requires additional Canon DLLs. You can download these DLLs with the Canon ZoomBrowser program:
            This is Canon's official global site. You can view Canon's vision, management strategies, business areas, the latest news, corporate information, investor information, sustainability activities, and more.

or try here:

(check "Readme.txt" for instructions and install!)
            I have installed neither the Canon software nor the additional dlls, yet I am able to view the images from the RAW files. I am simply wondering what it is that is provided with these dlls. I assume, based upon my experience, that they are not, in fact, necessary. Only the plugin is.

Note that I have multiple systems on which I work. My desktop is XP SP3 and does have Canon software installed, including ZoomBrowser and Digital Photo Professional. My laptop is Vista Ultimate and does not have any Canon software installed. Both function the same with Irfanview 4.2 and the plugin.

Comment

Can you see the RAW files opened with IView with the full resolution (3504 x 2336 pixels)?

Comment

Working...
              X