IV 4.00 buggy? 100% CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV 4.00 buggy? 100% CPU

I installed Irfanview 4.00 and CPU maxed out to 100% whenever I opened an image. I fixed it by re-installing 3.99.
    Is this a known bug? I'm currently waiting for 4.01 :-)
    I've installed every update to IV for years but haven't had this problem before.
    Last edited by stefan; 07.02.2009, 04:16 PM.

I cannot confirm this with the standard 4.0 downloaded a while ago and all common graphics formats. Are you certain its i_view32.exe with max CPU usage? Does it happen with all formats?

Comment

Cannot confirm either. And how many apps do you have opened in your taskbar ? 32 ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

OK. Thanks for the feedback.
        When I installed 4.00 about 2 months ago I only used it for jpg's. They were large enough that I had to scroll them (my display is set to 1024x768) and they behaved very badly. I could hear the CPU maxing out (constantly, not just when scrolling) and when I checked TaskManager>Performance (I'm using win2k) CPU was stuck at 100%. I re-installed 3.99 and all was well again.
        After reading your replies I tried installing 4.00 again and now it's working fine. ???
        I often install new software (and uninstall most of it) and it's generally graphics/multimedia stuff. Could have been an incompatibility. I also suspect my firewall. I have it set to block all apps from 'phoning home' apart from ones that I've OK'ed. Some apps manage to go under it. Irfanview is programmed to phone home on first startup and I just noticed with this latest install of 4.00 that the checkbox to allow/disallow this already has a tick in it but it is greyed over so you really have no choice and it did manage to launch my browser. I'm pretty sure it launched my browser last time as well. I just reinstalled 3.99 to refresh my memory and that checkbox is 'user friendly', meaning you can change it. Now I'm back to 4.00 again. Hey, I'm happy to go to the Irfanview site. If it helps at all I'll click on the site till I'm tired.
        My firewall is a bit of a B|tch. Every 4 months or so I have to manually edit some of it's config files (even just copying the contents to a fresh notepad page and replacing the original seems to help (??). One of it's symptoms (as well as trying to block it's own components!) is increasing CPU usage. Coincidentally I just gave it a rebirth the other day. And now 4.00 is working fine. I'll blame my firewall. In fact, it is the usual suspect and culprit when things go weird.

Sam_Zen......
        "....how many apps do you have opened in your taskbar ? 32 ?"
        Hee hee. No, never. I'm running Windows. I try to avoid crashes & seizures. I do have 62 items on my quicklaunch bar though to compensate.

Comment

I'm using W2K as well. But I just checked, but couldn't find any 'phone home' tick setting at all..
          If I was confronted with this, I would have been quite mad, because I hate progs, that auto-start my browser.

You're probably right about your firewall. Maybe it get stuck in some kind of loop, causing the 100 % CPU.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

No, never. I'm running Windows.
            WinNT 5 is actually quite stable. I am constantly running more than 10 user applications, not counting residenting time synchronizator and keyboard layout switcher, etc. The computer also runs out of it's 2 Gb of memory from time to time, but that's my fault. With all this stress I keep one Windows session running for about a month and reboot only when I need to open the computer case, start Win98 system.

Comment

one Windows session running for about a month
              How's this ? Do you never sleep, or what ?
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

My computer does not need to sleep whenever I do.

Comment

A personal thing I guess.
                  I use my set for my work, so if I start working I turn it on, when I'm ready, I turn it off. Apart from keeping my energy bill under control..
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

lol My computer is not allowed to work such long hours without rest either. It at least gets a warm reboot - like a good big yawn and leg-stretch.

I would certainly try a different firewall if mine gave me so much trouble.
                    Its: Belongs to "It"
                    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                    ---------------------
                    Lose: Fail to keep
                    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Yep. Back to topic. Surely the firewall seems to be the weak chain here.
                      If one has to recover the settings every now and then with a backup, something's not right.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sam_Zen...
                        "...couldn't find any 'phone home' tick setting at all.."
                        At the end of install the last dialogue box has two options both checked by default:

Open IrfanView FAQs help page
                        Start IrfanView

In 3.99 you can uncheck them both but in 4.00 you cannot remove the check from the first one and it launches your browser taking you to:
                        http://www.irfanview.net/faq.htm which is a very informative page for users to read.

j7n...
                        "...one Windows session running for about a month.."
                        That's amazing. I usually have to reboot after a week or less. At the first hint of Explorer misbehaving I close out everything and shut down as I know a crash is imminent.

I've done a few more installs/re-installs of 3.99 and 4.00. I keep a lot of stuff in WinRar archives mainly to reduce file count. If you use the 'Store' compression setting it's very quick as it doesn't attempt to do any compression. If I open an image that's inside an archive (say, a jpg about 1200x1800 ~400KB), 3.99 will scroll it smoothly the same as when the image is extracted from the archive. Version 4.00 however will scroll the extracted image smoothly but if opening the image from within the archive, scrolling is jerky and laggy. That's strange. I mean the image is loaded into RAM so it shouldn't matter where it came from. I've just done this a few times under the same conditions and it's a fact. I think I'll stick with 3.99 for that reason alone. I don't think this in particular has anything to do with the firewall as otherwise 4.00 seems to be working fine. I only noticed it since my last post. It maybe user-specific (hardware, OS, etc.) so I'll just stick with the version that works best for me.

Comment

For the moment, always a wise decision.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                          X