Starting IrfanView at bootup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting IrfanView at bootup

I'm running IrfanView 3.97 on Windows XP. Does anyone know how I can start IrfanView automatically at boot time with the Capture/Screen shot option configured? I find it very convenient to be able to hit Ctrl F11 at any time to capture a screen image, but it's inconvenient to have to set this up each time I reboot by starting IrfanView and configuring the Capture/Screen shot option.

Thanks

Use a shortcut in the (User)Startup directory with the /ini command pointing to wherever you want to keep a copy of the i_view32.ini with the right configuration. Then you just press C and Enter (or use some clever macro to click for you) and off you go.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

But the configuration parameters for [capture] don't seem to include a "started" field, so while I can generate an i_view32.ini that uses a certain hot key and stores images in my favorite place, it seems I would still need to open up i_view32.exe and click "Start" to enable the capture. Or am I missing something?

Comment

The shortcut would also launch Irfan View. As long as you don't close it, it will be available at any time, but you would still need to give it focus for the shortcut to work.

Try Gadwin Printscreen (Freeware) or FastStone Capture (20$ Shareware). They both use the PrintScreen key for screen capture. FastStone has considerable power to annotate and draw on screen captures.

Either of these programs will sit quietly in the System Tray until you press the PrintScreen key or combinations thereof.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion to look into FastStone. I didn't know about it. It's a much better solution for me than pushing Irfan View beyond its limits.

Comment

Why don't you make screenshots like this:
            1. Press PrintScreen;
            2. Quickstart IrfanView by pressing a shortcut;
            3. Press Ctrl-V in IrfanView.

When I press the 8-key, IrfanView appears on my screen. In the properties of every Windows-shortcut you can attach a keyboard-key.

Comment

One is sometimes not sure whether to answer the question or answer the implied need . It does make more sense to use a dedicated capture program if one does it a lot. I like MWsnap for its ability to capture any selected area. There are many, and all have their particular talents.
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Well, the question from toonbon implied IrfanView. That's the program what this forum is about. I use IrfanView, SnagIt and FastStoneViewer, but that's not important. And -btw- IV is yet the simpelest way to get what you need in jpg. FastStoneViewer (freeware) produces the smallest gif files, but that too was not the question...

Comment

Working...
                X