Slideshow Foldername Length 4.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slideshow Foldername Length 4.20

I find that the slideshow will not run on files within folders with long names.
    The effect seems to be cumulative: the deeper the folders are nested the shorter the foldernames must be.
    This is when viewing files on my local hard disk.

Edit: V4.20 XPSP3 Pentium4 1G RAM

Edit: I don't see this behaviour in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer slideshow.
    Last edited by pat; 06.08.2008, 01:03 PM.

Ah! I see that it also happens with long filenames so it looks as if I shall have to go back to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as my default image opening program.

Which is a shame as IV seems to do everything better except for the filename handling in slideshows. (I am not trying to create standalone slideshows, just trying see a slideshow of the files in any folder)

Unless, of course, anyone knows better?

Comment

First of all :
      Although windoze allows it, it's not a clever thing to do to use very long folder- or filenames. It's asking for trouble.
      All kinds of applications can have problems with it, and it deteriorates your survey in all kinds of dialogs.

I remember vaguely about posts with the same slideshow issue.
      If a slideshow is set up, a file is made called 'slideshow.lst'. Maybe it has a max nr of characters on one line.

A second thing to avoid this :
      Prepare a special folder for the slideshow with copies of the selected files of your image collection in it.

And if it's about long path-names, the dreadful M$ construction '..\documents and settings\etcetera etcetera etcetera' is already a bad start in this case.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Take a look at the SUBST command.

You can also setup virtual drives with TrueCrypt, which is a useful program to have installed to protect your privacy should your PC get stolen.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X