Thumbnail memory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumbnail memory.

Is there a way for you to "save" the images in a directory so the thumbnail browser don't have to load the same photos over and over again, when you switch folders.
    Like, after you have visited a folder with the browser, the browser saves that folder, so it appears faster the next time you visit that folder.
    I've used another browser, and it added a database file in the folder, so that the browser didn't have to load all the images again.

Hope you understand what I mean, might have been a bit confusing.

I use W2K, but I noticed that XP has the habit of placing a hidden 'thums.db' file in the visited dir.
    Personally, I don't like such things. But I can't see how a list of links to bitmaps should enhance the loading speed very much.

One thing I noticed while checking the thumbnail dialog : One can load a TXT file, but not save one.
    So I made one myself form a dir with graphic files, giving it the same name as the dir. I loaded the txt-file, but no significant change of loading speed.

Besides this, I use Total Commander, so I don't need the thumbnail browser. I choose the active dir with TC, start Irfan View and it opens up the content as thumbnails with 'T'.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Other applications have configurable cache databases. One such application is ACDSee 3 (that's an old version). You could try it if you frequently need to use thumbnails view. Database may later be flushed and even disabled if desired by setting the read-only attribute. Hidden cache files in every directory is a no-go. I gotta frequently cleanup thumbs.db in files I receive from other people. Grr.

Comment

Exactly. Grrr here too.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I am always stumbling over "thumbs.db" in websites and program installation packages. Very useful. I am thankful that IV does not excrete them
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi Gray! Take it from us: be glad IrfanView doesn't produce a cache file!
            And the 'thumbs.db' is indeed a nogo also. I use the Dutch version of XP so I don't know the correct procedure in the US-version. Try this: go to Configuration\Folder options. Select the second Tab and look for 'thumbnails not in cache' or something like that...

Comment

It's called "Do not cache thumbnails".

Windows XP has great many consumer/beginner features that can be very annoying to a power user. I recommend using nLite to create a stripped down WinNT 5 (2k/xp) installation when you decide it's time to completely reinstall the system.

Comment

Thanks for that nice tip about nLite, j7n! I've visited the site and checked the screendumps. At first view it looks like a lot of work, but when I have the time I'll maybe do the job. There's no risk, because I always have a Ghost file at hand to set back the old situation in no time.

Comment

Working...
                X