Pixel data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Pixel data

Irfan View can be used as a 'Color Picker' by placing the cursor on a specific pixel.
    It shows in the titlebar : RGB with the decimal values, and HTML for the hexadecimal values. Quite useful sometimes.

But in practice it's quite a nuisance. Because as soon as I want to write, or type the values somewhere, so I let go the left button, the info is vanished.

I don't see an opportunity to add an option like 'copy pixel values' in the context menu, because then also, the left click
    is already off, and the values are gone.

A kb shortcut when left is pressed could be possible. A delay in the showing in the titlebar maybe. Or keeping the info there, until something is changed.

The edgy thing here maybe, is that the behaviour shouldn't make trouble if one wants to draw a rectangle selection.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Maybe this is a solution: pick your color with your right hand and at the same time use your left hand to press Right-Alt-Printscreen. Press Ctrl-V.

Comment

This is quite a challenge in IV.

Alter Tab to Notepad with your left hand while holding down the mouse button with your right hand, then type in notepad with your left hand.

That is why I recommend other programs sometimes such as FastStone Capture. It is far more convenient as it does not clear the clipboard when you press PrintScreen, or other combinations with PrintScreen to capture an image.
      Attached Files
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You're right of course. It was ment to be a kind of joke, but you've shown it works, thanks to your IV-crop (Ctrl-Y). I'm using a very, very tiny little tool for the purpose Sam's question was about: colorpad. Free at http://www.webmasterfree.com/ColorPad_d7705.html
        Already tried (free) FastStone ImageViewer? Produces very small gif's and has got a very nice vector-edit-screen.

Still I find IV the fastest imageviewer (used as 'plugin' within Ghisler's Total Commander) and at the same time the champion in quick resampling graphics larger than the screen (Fit to screen). By the way, on 16 januari 2003, I wrote mr. Skiljan a letter to ask a few things about his program. Here's a quote:
        [...]Every time the next file is being loaded in memory (after I've pushed the space-key) the screen turns black for a short moment. Would it not be wonderfull when you would'nt see that ugly black screen? In the 'F'-modus this is not the case. Or even better: an overflow-effect between the present and the next graphic during loading/resampling?[...]

I don't fancy myself that Irfan Skiljan would listen to my 'warrant' (and my poor English) but see, now there's a very fine option when I want to show my pictures to other people: Alpha blending. Not skilful for fast viewing, but neatly when demonstrating, etc.
        Last edited by Sjef; 07.07.2007, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Sjef, only just know I recognized your avatar...

So a screen capture is the indirect alternative so far.
          I don't use printscreen, with PSP I can assign a hotkey to a specific screenshot on the spot.
          But it stays a bitmap, and I would prefer to have the ascii title-string in the clipboard.

But, as Bhikku said, this would be quite a challenge in IV.
          The more, because this concerns the title-bar, and in my check for screengrabbers I only found a few, which had the title bar as a specific area in the options, and those progs were not free.

Holding down the mouse button while typing in an ascii-editor is a more insecure method, because your cursor has to be fixed on that one pixel. One tiny movement means that IV thinks you're drawing a rectangle, and the info is gone.

Talking about mails to the Author. I did that too occasionally, and Irfan always was kind enough to answer.
          As soon as I found this forum, I stopped doing that. Because he's a busy man no doubt.
          He doesn't participate on this forum directly, but there is contact via one of the mods.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

My internet-'career' just began at september 2006, so in 2003 I had to write mr. Skiljan a real letter. Of course I agree, mr. Skiljan must be busy with other things, so it must be a very necessary reason to contact him. I realize that now; in 2003 I still was a rooky, now I consider myself a novice. I use MS-Frontpage to produce webpages...

Comment

There is a key-press that could be used, that is otherwise unused.

Notice that when you left-click on a point in a picture (in IV, IrfanView, of course), while still holding down that left mouse button just press the Alt button and let it go.

When you do that, notice that the IV "File" command high-lights? It doesn't do anything. You can't even make it do anything, as long as you hold that left-click down. And as soon as you let the left-click go the "File"command then un-high-lights (shuts off, whatever).

So, my proposal, if you are left-clicking in a picture, and you can see that RGB data in the Title bar of IV, a simple press of the Alt key copies the RGB data into the clipboard.

From that point you can paste the clipboard into anything you want, such as Notepad, or any editable field. No screen shots and other odd manipulations needed.
              I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
              Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

This sounded promising, but I couldn't get it to work.
                All happened as you said, but the data didn't show up in the clipboard to paste into the ascii-editor.
                Instead of that, the RGB data appeared in the IV button in the taskbar, until I switch to IV again.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Oops, sorry, I did not mean to give you the idea that my pressing of the Alt key does copy the RGB data into the clipboard.
                  As you found out, it doesn't. Again, sorry for the possible confusion.

It was a proposal of a feature, an elaboration of the feature request you proposed. Which I think can be useful. But instead of making a new right-click menu appear (what I think might be more difficult implementation), how about just a copy RGB data into the clipboard when the Alt key is pressed?
                  I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                  Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

(No sorry needed, it's my confusion because I skipped reading the word 'proposal' in the first place)

It's a very nice proposal, because it can be achieved with a mouse-key combination. Getting the data in the clipboard is all there's needed.

This Alt trick at least already is an improvement, because now, after releasing Left click, the RGB-data stays in the titlebar.
                    Until something else is done in IV, but it gives a more relaxed situation to make a screenshot.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                    X