Incremental gamma adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Incremental gamma adjust

it's been 7 years since this bug/feature was fixed/removed, so maybe it's time to re-request it..

It was originally a bug, but a GREAT bug. You could use the keyboard arrow keys and adjust the gamma up and down in .1 increments. it was so much better for control of that adjustment. It's still nowhere near or ever has been as accurate as that bug. It's like trying to move a feather with a bulldozer now. No matter how much you think you have control it's still off by more than you want.

now it's like putting lipstick on while driving on a dirt road full of potholes.

Then like using a micrometer to measuer & paint the edges.

Hi,

the only way to do that in the latest version is to use batch- conversion

steve

BTW: what version did you use 7 years ago

Comment

Well I wouuld guess whatever version worked with win98. And came out 7 years ago. I use IV daily for everything. Actually mostly just viewing and deleting.

I cap images, and need to fast step thru folders, and nothing loads and shows an image as fast as IV.
      I use it in conjunction with TP. But IV is the work horse.

That gamma adjust saved the time it takes to load up TP or Photoshop just to brighten an image to see if I want/need it.

TP & PS are more for several images. IV loads fsat, does the job, and quits. TP is having troubles quitting with Vista.

Need to use task manager to stop previous versions of TP just to start a new instance of TP.

Comment

Do you mean that within the normal view window, up and down arrows would increase/decrease gamma? That would be a great improvement, since nowadays so many people make dark photos or keep their images dark because they own a badly calibrated TFT monitor. I propose two hotkeys for increasing and decreasing the gamma value directly.

Comment

I started with 2.85 and never experienced this arrow-key 'bug'. But maybe I just missed it. There was no forum in '98.
          But I wouldn't fancy using the arrow-keys for this when just viewing a bitmap, without Shift+G for the Enhance colors dialog.
          Hotkeys like [b]ltGuillaume[/] suggests would be nice of course, but it's not a priority to me.

Because with Shift-G it's no problem. And since the latest versions, this dialog is also possible in fullscreen mode.
          Just click on the sliderknob, or select the Gamma function using 4 x 'Tab'.
          Then one can use the arrowkeys with a resolution of .01.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I can't remember ever not being able to use the arrow keys to adjust Gamma, but I've only been using it for...can't remember how long either
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
              I can't remember ever not being able to use the arrow keys to adjust Gamma, but I've only been using it for...can't remember how long either
              Now that was informative :P I was thinking about including the version that did have this bug on a DVD with loads of photos. Many of them were made with some lousy cameras / mobile phones (or by lousy snapshot takers :P), so increasing the gamma shoudl really be a directly available option, not with some window popping up. I've found only 1 viewer/browser that does have this function, 11view (http://www.stratopoint.com/11view.htm). But to have it in IrfanView (and to have the new zooming option NOT in IrfanView :P), would be perfect

Comment

A version with that bug could be interesting of course.
                It wouldn't be the first time that the properties of a bug could be converted into something useful.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                X